Canadians check in here....

Hubby & I grew up in Winnipeg! Got relatives in Minnedosa & Brandon. Now living in a more temperate zone in Ontario. Welcome to the best chicken forum in North America! Woo hoo!

Thank you! I was very excited to find this site! First time having chickens. I have 10 - 3 week old Americana EE's. Learning lots of things off here.

Thank you! I was very excited to find this site! First time having chickens. I have 10 - 3 week old Americana EE's. Learning lots of things off here.
This is my 4th year raising chickens & I'm still learning new things! Good thing they're so much fun & interesting! I've got 4 - 6 week old EEs among other breeds. They are the cutest of my motley bunch! :)

I am from Carman, Manitoba! Does anyone have any coop building tips for FREEZING winter temps?
There is an old method of coop building that makes it habitable in all climates, including -30C weather. One main key as well is lots of ventilation (not drafts) & passive solar energy. I'll try to see if I can find a pic or link for you so you know what to look for.

Actually, here's a thread on BYC that addresses the same concerns you have. The pic in the thread shows one type of high-ventilation & passive solar coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/715315/winter-in-the-chicken-house

I'd like to add that insulated walls, double-glass windows (lots of them), & deep litter will help as well. Some use dog water dish warmers to keep the water going while others just let the water freeze overnight in a metal dish, kick out the ice & add in fresh warm water.

Lastly, the more chickens you got in the coop, the more heat is radiated/shared by the chickens. 10 chickens will do better than 1 lone chicken w/ no buddy to spoon with. ;)

Last edited:
Hi again everyone - is anyone near Saint John, NB or willing to ship interested in selling me a dozen fertilized eggs? Have a couple of silkies dying to be mamas apparently..

Hey Canadians!! I'm in Manitoba.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom