Canadians check in here....

we had an old pump house that was 12ft X 8 ft that we transformed into a coop. It has a concrete floor, we insulated the sides and put plywood up for walls. We then cut a 4ft X 3 ft window in one side for light and ventilation. It just has screening on it at the moment but we will put a double pane window in there before fall. We still have to insulate the roof and install a vent up there yet. I plan on having a chicken run built for them in the next 2 weeks. We already have a cut out in the wall to access the chicken run. (it's boarded up at the moment while my babies grow). I plan on having a deep bed of straw over the winter, 2 or 3 heat lamps as well as a heated waterer. I will post pics soon but it's still abit of a work in progress. It'll be done before fall but not before the chickens start running around in the run so we can get access better.
Sounds like a great coop! Might I humbly suggest you use pine shavings instead of straw? Straw doesn't decompose easily in a coop, can turn to cement & easily harbours mites. Pine shavings are a lot more fluffier, will decompose easier & mites don't seem to like them much.

Sounds like a great coop! Might I humbly suggest you use pine shavings instead of straw? Straw doesn't decompose easily in a coop, can turn to cement & easily harbours mites. Pine shavings are a lot more fluffier, will decompose easier & mites don't seem to like them much.

X2 good advise!!

Hello from St. Jerome, QC!

So my new Cayuga breeding pair from ERW is giving me a beautiful black egg every day. Now if Momma' duck will just sit on them! As much as I want to freak my friends out w black eggs I'd rather have a summer batch of baby Cayugas :( Anyone know ways to coax her into sitting?

I would put the egg under one of my chickens but I have none broody atm.

Am I destined to give in and get / make an incubator? lol

thx,
Mountain Wampus~

GLW, Cayuga ducks, & a menagerie of other fun chicken breeds!

Once you get an incubator, I have found where the term 'chicken math' really comes from! So addictive & so much fun! I've got 18 eggs in right now. 8 days until hatch day! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Yeah, I don't get out much. Lol!
I've been out "much" in my life since "leaving the farm". Never been happier than learning chicken / duck math all over again! I quit the Rat Race one day when I realized there's no glory in out running a rat unless its trying to eat you. Now the only races are the ones that start when I throw a tomato into the run and one of the chickens tries to keep the whole thing for themselves. LOL they never learn.

Love it!!! Well said! I'm lucky enough that I could retire early from that rat race. Corporate ladder climbing is SO exhausting & soul sucking! Ugh!
I never felt right in the city. Now we have a piece of paradise full of interesting & some challenging creatures. Now I'm just waiting for hubby to retire so we can enjoy it all together more often.

I don't know of any way to get any kind of poultry to sit. Don't know that you can. I've tried leaving their eggs in the nest & letting them pile up, but it doesn't work. It seems they will go broody at the most inconvenient times though. So plan on when you don't want them to sit, that's when they'll do it, lol! I've heard some go broody in winter. Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom