Canadians check in here....

Mine are 28 weeks old now and still haven't laid. We set up a timer to give them 14 hours of light a day about a week and a half ago, so hopefully soon they will start! Until then, i guess i have to settle for dream eggs lol

That's a great idea! Could turn out to be expensive if your flock is a bit larger but still could be something to look at for general maintenance. Right now my girls are a bit crowded - I had to bring my ducks back into the sheltered chicken yard because an owl decided to have one for a snack
hit.gif
...was a good life lesson for my kids but still emotionally devastating for me. Anyway, before I get totally off topic
tongue.png
...I was saying that my girls are a bit crowded and I've noticed that some of the eggs shells are thin sometimes. If I found myself in a position where I needed to go this route and add the calcium to their drinking water, could you give me a ratio that would be appropriate?

The ratio that I have been said to use is 1 tablespoon per gallon. I am not a vet. Please research and make your own judgement on how much to use. I suggest you start with a lesser amount and then add to it if necessary.

Hello! I'm waaay out on the west coast, Vancouver Island.

I know this is probably a pretty common question but does anyone know any good Canadian Hatcheries?

I'm looking for some new stock and have unfortunately lost some faith in local breeders (seriously no offence one bad apple destroyed our entire flock!) Hoping to find Blue/Black Silkies, Silver Laced Polish and Marans from a clean source with proper biosecurity.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Shan30! I too am out here in BC, not as far as you though
wink.png
The only hatchery I've used is Performance Poultry; they have a huge selection of birds and I personally have had pretty good experiences with them. They are back in Ontario but they airship them out here. Do be aware that they are a hatchery and so don't breed for egg size, colour, etc. There is Rochester Hatchery in Alberta as well, but I have had no experience with them and they have a smaller selection of breeds. Other than that...
idunno.gif
. I have heard that McMurray Hatchery will ship to Canada. I can only imagine what the shipping costs would be on that though.
It's too bad you aren't looking for Minorca's, Welsummer's, or Silver Dorkings. Quennell Lake in Nanaimo was my very first experience with buying chicks and it was absolutely wonderful. I still have one of my Minorca's and two Welsummer's from Maria, six years later and they still lay the most beautiful extra large eggs. Not very often mind you LOL.
Please do let me know if you find a really good hatchery that is maybe closer than Ontario.
Cheers!

Mine are 28 weeks old now and still haven't laid. We set up a timer to give them 14 hours of light a day about a week and a half ago, so hopefully soon they will start! Until then, i guess i have to settle for dream eggs lol

Get any eggs yet? I totally remember waiting for the first eggs to appear! It was so exciting when they finally started!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Get any eggs yet? I totally remember waiting for the first eggs to appear! It was so exciting when they finally started!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Hi, yes acturally the next day I got my first egg! I only have 1 hen laying, but she gives me an egg just about every second day. :)
Also, pretty much everyone I know gets their chicks from McMurray Hatchery. I haven't tried them though, I got my chicks from a local breeder

Thank you GreenMum and BriBre, I will look into your suggestions and let you know how it goes..

The conservancy does have some nice birds and I may end up with some of their dorkings one day but I'm trying really hard to be good and limit my number of breeds right now... Hahaha yeah right. I guess technically the silkies are my husbands so I could...

Back
Top Bottom