Canadians check in here....

Pics
OH I know what you mean now...we use something like that for storing the horse hay in this year...Maybe when we build a proper storage area for the hay hubby will let me use it for the girls....what a great idea...

Hey, I am in Alberta, near Edmonton. I am looking to buy eggs , chicks or adults. Heard of 2 hatcheries, one in Canada and either their chicks were sick or lot of deformities. I would rather buy off someone private if possible. I am needing someone willing to put birds on bus or some other transportation as I am injured and can't drive too far.
List of what I need, rosecomb, old english game, golden & silver laced polish, buff polish, sultans, crevecoeur, mottled houdan, spitzhaubens, silver pheonix, dorkings, cucoo marans, yokohama, Silver duckwing- hens, seabrite rooster-light orange or cream, colored frizzles and mandrin ducks.
I am also willing to trade. I have white, india blue and black shoulder peacocks, red-golden and lady amhurst pheasants, light & dark brown, east india & white call ducks. White and black & white crested ducks. Red, white & black silkeys, white crested black polish, silver & gold sebrites, buff-black tail japanese, white frizzles.
Red burbon and wild turkeys.
Also have mini donkeys that keep all the coyotes away from my birds.

welcome-byc.gif
!!

I'm sure some one will be able to help you out with your search for birds. You can Try Canadianeggswappers.
http://groups.msn.com/CANADIANCHICK...on=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=21750&pps=k

big_smile.png

And Sue, most communities have local feed stores, feed mills, co-ops or agricultural supply places that offer a couple of hatchings locally. You usually have to drop in and pre-order for May or June day olds. Ours were acquired this way and we had great luck. Other options include heritage farms, advertised birds locally and especially shows like 4-H where everybody knows where the good chicks are!
cool.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I must have spent 10 hours trying to get on the chickeneggswappers site but have had no luck. Says it is no longer there, but I am also new to cyberspace so maybe I am doing something wrong. Also can you believe that in Alberta there is no hatcheries that have any kinds of exotics. A few years ago one had a couple different breeds and I bought them but I'm a chicken addict too and need more. Auctions I find a lot of birds are not cared for as well as they can be and you have to be very careful so you don't bring in diseases to your flocks. That's why I am looking to other provinces. Might try Bergs hatchery in Manitoba
but I'm not sure if that's too far to ship chicks. Hope you are all keeping warm cause we have been at -17 - -45 since beginning of December. Spring can't come soon enough for me.

Canadianchickeneggswappers has migrated to Yuku

http://canadianchickeneggswappers.yuku.com

Not many people there as of last time I looked, but I expect it will pick up when the msn group totally shuts down next month.

(e.t.a - there were several people on the mnsgroups group in Alberta who sold a variety of breeds, I expect they'll probably pop up on the yuku version and may have something you would be interested in.)

Pat

Last edited:
Hi there Sue
I live in alberta to up north and I know of a hatchery called Rochester but I don't think they have any of the breeds that you want.

I was wandering if you know of anyone that breeds RIR in westren canada?
I lost my Roosters and now I can't breed them.
sad.png

Hi, thanks for the info. I'll check it out and the page on ventilation is very good. Everyone should read it. Think my duck building needs more but it
has to wait till it's not -35. P.S. the chickeneggswappers is not at yuku unless it's just me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what problem you are having, but canadianchickeneggswappers IS on yuku (I checked in about 15 seconds ago, to make sure nothing weird had happened).

http://canadianchickeneggswappers.yuku.com/

Does that url not work for you? (It's CANADIANchickeneggswappers, if you just went to yuku.com and searched...)

BTW Rochester Hatchery does not carry 'breeds', just sex link crosses and broilers and that sort of thing (well they made a foray into carrying something like 5 'heritage' breeds a coupla years ago, but gave up) and honestly I'm not positive whether they're even still in business as the last time I looked their website had not been updated for a couple years.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom