Canadians check in here....

It's close. Just watch them. If they seem to be trying to get away from the light they are too hot...if they peep a lot they are too hot or cold...if they pile up on top of each other they are too cold. It's best to let them tell you. Are your kids out of school for the summer?

I had them in the garage last night and the temp was 28-30 degrees.
This morning my thermometer said 25 degrees so I brought them in.

My setup is 3 flouresent 6500 kelvin lights which I used to start my seedlings. I am trying to be energy efficient and not use the infared heat lamp. I found a great youtube video on using hot water in a coffee tin as radiant heat. Might give it a try.

The boys and I are off as of Thursday for the summer...so exciting to be working on the homestead!

I had them in the garage last night and the temp was 28-30 degrees.
This morning my thermometer said 25 degrees so I brought them in.

My setup is 3 flouresent 6500 kelvin lights which I used to start my seedlings. I am trying to be energy efficient and not use the infared heat lamp. I found a great youtube video on using hot water in a coffee tin as radiant heat. Might give it a try.

The boys and I are off as of Thursday for the summer...so exciting to be working on the homestead!

Yes I had the same issue with my chicks outside. The evenings cool down so much that it was hard to keep the temp correct for them. Just watch them under white lights. My sister-in-law had a lot of pecking happening. Red is supposed to be a little more calming. I've only used red so no idea. Nice to have the summer off! Perfect timing for your new arrivals
1f600.png

Uncertainty, Have you tried Rochester Hatchery. I believe it is North of Edmonton but I'm not sure what city/town.

Hi;

I sure have. The chicks I have are from there. 0% mortality. Can't say better than that. They don't have a huge breed selection but I am pretty happy with this batch, that's for sure. I think their name is Miller Hatchery, and the village they are located in is Rochester. They use Peavey Mart as their agents, so I bought through them. I picked what I thought to be the most robust hybrid at a lower price-point for my first flock. I thought if the project was an epic fail I would feel somewhat less inadequate if I kept the costs down. So far Project Chicken has been a fair bit of work but pretty rewarding. We are all looking forward to farm fresh eggs. I am kind of nervous about processing the extra boys in August/September. Something I have never done before.

Yes I had the same issue with my chicks outside. The evenings cool down so much that it was hard to keep the temp correct for them. Just watch them under white lights. My sister-in-law had a lot of pecking happening. Red is supposed to be a little more calming. I've only used red so no idea. Nice to have the summer off! Perfect timing for your new arrivals
1f600.png

So I broke down and bought a red infared bulb andlike you said it was calmin for the chicks...its like they went to sleep.

I'm in the burbs of the lower mainland of BC. We hope to get our first quail in the next couple of weeks
big_smile.png

I have only found a couple breeders near us so far, though. One you have to pre-order from and the other is a costly ferry ride away...
hmm.png
If you have any leads, please share! I am hoping for a lighter variation of Coturnix: Manchurian Golden, Red Tuxedo, Red Range/Cinnamon, Scarlett, Golden Tuxedo... Thanks!
D.gif

I'm in the burbs of the lower mainland of BC. We hope to get our first quail in the next couple of weeks
big_smile.png

I have only found a couple breeders near us so far, though. One you have to pre-order from and the other is a costly ferry ride away...
hmm.png
If you have any leads, please share! I am hoping for a lighter variation of Coturnix: Manchurian Golden, Red Tuxedo, Red Range/Cinnamon, Scarlett, Golden Tuxedo... Thanks!
D.gif
Hi Ladybirdmama, I'm from Abbotsford. If you're on Facebook, join the group BC Backyard Poultry Growers. I've seen quail posted in the for sale section. I haven't paid attention to the breeds though.

2nd week with the chicks and they are growing fast. I'm up to 8 with 3 more on the way. It's addicting...
I think they need a bigger coop....
Here's what I've done...

The roof is going to be metal still have to finish the rafters in the back.
There is a separate section for the meat chickens and separate back door to get in and out from.

Still have to finish the front door and the bottom skirting.
Hopefully done by next week.

What do you all think?
Anything I missed?
Thanks

Hi Everyone!

I'm from Bracebridge Ontario and am currently trying to get our Town by-law changed so I can have hens. I live on 2 acres on the skirts of town limits and R1 zoning is currently not allowed laying hens.

If anyone has any information, sources, ANYTHING that can help I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thank-you!

Back
Top Bottom