Canadians check in here....

A thread just for us Canucks! That's great!
I'm about 50km south of Prince George, near Hixon. I bought a home on acreage back in November, and it came with chickens and muscovies. Having a lot of fun learning all about home poultry, and enjoying the magnificent eggs.
Typical Canadian story: Household water is on a cistern, with water being trucked in. There is an old well with a hand-pump on the property, and previous owner told me in all his years of living on the farm, the hand pump has never frozen up, no matter how cold it got, and that is what he has been using to get water to the chickens daily, as it is near the coop. The water is a dark yellow, so I won't use it, but that is what was being used for the livestock they had.

Well, we've had brutally cold extended weather, in the -20's to -30's for over a month solid, and yes, the hand pump froze up. I had run out of household water and couldn't get any delivered because of too much snow - the water truck didn't want to risk coming all the way out to the boonies and get stuck. So . . . I took my wood splitting axe and hacked a hole through a foot of ice in the duck pond, and got the chicken water from the pond! Of course, had to re-open the hole on a daily basis, but the birds got water, and despite the cold, they were happy and laying pretty regularly.

Now that the snow is melting they seem to prefer drinking out of snow-melt puddles - I think they got a taste of "wild" water, LOL.
It's amazing how much we take water for granted. I've been carting in 5 gallon bottles of water for over 2 years. Finally got a well drilled back in October, but due to weather and no jeat in the house we're renovating, we finally got running water 2 weeks ago! It's soo exciting!

How do you enjoy the acreage so far?

@The Farmers' Daughter

I took your advice about getting 5. I actually have got 6 chicks on the way as 4 are straight run. I got two faverolles, 2 australorps, I don’t jnow if they are going to be blue splash or blue yet, and 2 mottled ameraucanas. I’ll be getting the faverolles on the 12-13th of April and the other 4 around the 18-20th.

Pretty darn excited!

Personally, I'd recommend getting the 5 now. There's always a possibility that a chick or two won't thrive, so I'd err on the side of caution.

I've got chanteclers (my favourite) and buckeyes. Both are winter hardy heritage breeds. As Pacific Northwest weather doesn't get too hot I think both breeds would do well there.
View attachment 1714146 View attachment 1714149

@The Farmers' Daughter

I took your advice about getting 5. I actually have got 6 chicks on the way as 4 are straight run. I got two faverolles, 2 australorps, I don’t jnow if they are going to be blue splash or blue yet, and 2 mottled ameraucanas. I’ll be getting the faverolles on the 12-13th of April and the other 4 around the 18-20th.

Pretty darn excited!
Yay! You better share pics when they get there!

Have you got everything figured out for their brooder yet?

Yay! You better share pics when they get there!

Have you got everything figured out for their brooder yet?

@The Farmers' Daughter
Yep yep!
I have two large Tupper tubs that have hardware cloth on top, red heat lamp on a chain and tripod. I’ll keep the chicks in one of the tupper tubs until they need a bit more space then I’ll open up the side where the two tubs are connected and let them run about. I just picked up chick feed on Saturday and already had their little waterer and food bowl. I need to make some little mini perches for them. The only thing I need to get now is the thermometer.

@Paintingsummerpurple
That’s good to hear. I just really would like for my faverolles to be fluffy and have cheeks and beards:) so I’m glad to hear some good things!

Hello all

Thought I would drop in a say hi again as it’s been a couple years since I have checked in with the Canuck thread.

I can be found in the Kawartha Lakes and currently have about 20 ladies and 3 gentlemen. They are a collection of barn yards mix, Americauna’s, BCM, Lavender Orp, one buff chanctler and one wee silverudd blue isbar.

I currently have 24 eggs incubating and am patiently waiting for my new fluffy butts to arrive

Hello all

Thought I would drop in a say hi again as it’s been a couple years since I have checked in with the Canuck thread.

I can be found in the Kawartha Lakes and currently have about 20 ladies and 3 gentlemen. They are a collection of barn yards mix, Americauna’s, BCM, Lavender Orp, one buff chanctler and one wee silverudd blue isbar.

I currently have 24 eggs incubating and am patiently waiting for my new fluffy butts to arrive
Hi @Xarinn
How are things in my old stomping ground? How long have you lived in the Kawarthas? Where in the Kawarthas are you?

What breeds do you have in the incubator?

Hi @Xarinn
How are things in my old stomping ground? How long have you lived in the Kawarthas? Where in the Kawarthas are you?

What breeds do you have in the incubator?

Hello @The Farmers' Daughter, I am sure things are the status quo here. I am south of Lindsay and have lived here my entire life.

The eggs in the bator came from a woman nearby, she has americauna’s ( real ones not EE’s) Orpington and Marans so they will either be pure of those breeds or mixes of those to some extent...lol

Needed to add some new blood to my flock

Hello @The Farmers' Daughter, I am sure things are the status quo here. I am south of Lindsay and have lived here my entire life.

The eggs in the bator came from a woman nearby, she has americauna’s ( real ones not EE’s) Orpington and Marans so they will either be pure of those breeds or mixes of those to some extent...lol

Needed to add some new blood to my flock
Beautiful. Are you on the water? That would be Otonobee wouldn't it?

You'll have to share chick pictures. When are they due to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom