Canadians check in here....

Hi fellow canadians!
I'm in south eastern Ontario, any recommendations on breeds that handle our crazy weather well? Also any tips on weather proofing the coop would be very appreciated!!!
TIA
x
Hi @Missjlee4377! I’m in northeast Ontario this was my first winter with chickens, both my crested cream legbars have frost bite on combs but doing well in general, the rest of my flock has been unaffected. I have a Brahma cockerel, a Hedemora Cockerel, 2 Ameraucana pullets and 5 bielefelder pullets along with the legbars. In general pea combs and rose combed breeds (and similar) do better with winter weather. My coop is insulated and it is about 10degrees warmer in the coop than it is outside. Ventilation is the most important factor and there is a lot of info on this site to help you. I have heated roosts for the winter and heated waterers and a chicken guard pop door. Are you building from scratch?

I also have heavy clear plastic wrap covering the hardware wire on the covered portion of the run as a wind barrier.

Last edited:
Hi @Missjlee4377! I’m in northeast Ontario this was my first winter with chickens, both my crested cream legbars have frost bite on combs but doing well in general, the rest of my flock has been unaffected. I have a Brahma cockerel, a Hedemora Cockerel, 2 Ameraucana pullets and 5 bielefelder pullets along with the legbars. In general pea combs and rose combed breeds (and similar) do better with winter weather. My coop is insulated and it is about 10degrees warmer in the coop than it is outside. Ventilation is the most important factor and there is a lot of info on this site to help you. I have heated roosts for the winter and heated waterers and a chicken guard pop door. Are you building from scratch?

I also have heavy clear plastic wrap covering the hardware wire on the covered portion of the run as a wind barrier.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm waiting on some amercauna, barred Plymouth rock and silkies (cant resist the fluff!) And looking at wynadottes, black copper marans. I feel like they're pokemon... gotta catch em all!

As far as the coop I have a standing 12'x20' shed that I'm converting. I'm sectioning it into 12'x12' on one side for the coop and a 5'x12' on the other side for an outdoor brooding area and a separate smaller coop setup, just in case (I've heard all about chicken math....). I'm going to put up some insulation and 'walls' just to give some extra predator protection inside, and to cover preexisting holes (its partially a long style and it's old! Any recommendations?) Plan on using deep litter method because compost!

I was planning on investing in plastic wrap to add extra wind and cold protection when needed come winter time..

I'm attaching a 10'x20' covered run (bird netting this year most likely) with an entrance for free ranging when I get more comfortable and commit to a grass less yard.

I'll definitely peruse those files! There are so many useful articles and people in this forum!❤

Sounds like a great setup. The only thing I'd recommend is that you reinforce your run. Bird netting won't keep predators out. Welded wire with a hardware cloth skirt works really well.

As far as breeds go, I raise buckeyes and chanteclers, specifically for their weather hardiness. They have very small combs & wattles, so are less prone to frostbite. I have a few bantams as well, old English game & a silkie. They've faired perfectly through extreme cold, without any added heat.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm waiting on some amercauna, barred Plymouth rock and silkies (cant resist the fluff!) And looking at wynadottes, black copper marans. I feel like they're pokemon... gotta catch em all!

As far as the coop I have a standing 12'x20' shed that I'm converting. I'm sectioning it into 12'x12' on one side for the coop and a 5'x12' on the other side for an outdoor brooding area and a separate smaller coop setup, just in case (I've heard all about chicken math....). I'm going to put up some insulation and 'walls' just to give some extra predator protection inside, and to cover preexisting holes (its partially a long style and it's old! Any recommendations?) Plan on using deep litter method because compost!

I was planning on investing in plastic wrap to add extra wind and cold protection when needed come winter time..

I'm attaching a 10'x20' covered run (bird netting this year most likely) with an entrance for free ranging when I get more comfortable and commit to a grass less yard.

I'll definitely peruse those files! There are so many useful articles and people in this forum!❤
Sounds like you have a good plan, when I built my walls I put 1/4 inch hardware wire in the walls as well to keep rodents out also in the floor and ceiling. As far as roost space goes I have way too much room it seems. I went by recommendations of 1’ per bird and they generally cram around one 3’ perch and the other 2 perches go unused lol I REALLY love the poop board I put sand in it and use a kitty litter scoop to scoop out the poop as needed.

Hi fellow canadians!
I'm in south eastern Ontario, any recommendations on breeds that handle our crazy weather well? Also any tips on weather proofing the coop would be very appreciated!!!
TIA
x
Welcome!
I’ve had no trouble with barred rocks, Rhode Island reds and Sussex; I’m starting to switch over this spring to brahmas and I’m hoping they’ll be even better in the cold

Heya fellow Canadians! I am originally a BC gal, but have been living In Calgary for over 20 yrs now - so sad to say 🥺

Just December I was able to get into a house on acerage & have always wanted chickens! Opportunity & partners have not been kind in regards to this until now!

I have 36 eggs, though only asked for 24 lol, incubating right now & the anticipation is killer!! I also had some issues finding a hatchery that would ship eggs, plus the expensive ones I did find, lead me to search Kijiji where I found someone just over an hour from me selling eggs. I took the opportunity to get them to experience a hatch with my kids.

Happy hatching or clucking all!!

Heya fellow Canadians! I am originally a BC gal, but have been living In Calgary for over 20 yrs now - so sad to say 🥺

Just December I was able to get into a house on acerage & have always wanted chickens! Opportunity & partners have not been kind in regards to this until now!

I have 36 eggs, though only asked for 24 lol, incubating right now & the anticipation is killer!! I also had some issues finding a hatchery that would ship eggs, plus the expensive ones I did find, lead me to search Kijiji where I found someone just over an hour from me selling eggs. I took the opportunity to get them to experience a hatch with my kids.

Happy hatching or clucking all!!
Welcome fellow Calgarian! Hope your new place works out well for you! I have always bought chicks, so I wish you luck with the eggs! I have new ones coming in May.

Welcome fellow Calgarian! Hope your new place works out well for you! I have always bought chicks, so I wish you luck with the eggs! I have new ones coming in May.

Where do you get your chicks from? I was specifically looking for hatching eggs & found that was a chore! I am hoping they’ll hatch by the 23rd - starting the 20th/21st while I have my older kids for spring break.

Where do you get your chicks from? I was specifically looking for hatching eggs & found that was a chore! I am hoping they’ll hatch by the 23rd - starting the 20th/21st while I have my older kids for spring break.
I usually find them on Kijiji or Facebook. This year is the first time ordering from U Of A heritage program. Going back to some old heritage breeds as my 2 to 4 year olds are not giving many eggs. Getting Barred Rock, Light Sussex and Danish brown Leghorn from them.

Back
Top Bottom