candle darker eggs

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
Ok we re on day 7
DH doesnt want me to candle the eggs, he says leave them alone, dont even touch them. But them again the only time he reads any posts on here is if I read it to him, so he has no idea.
Out of the 14 eggs in the bator about 10 of them are some shade of green, tan or brown, how can I candle those?
What should I see on day 7 is I can even see though them

On Day 7 you will see veining and a small eyeball looking embryo.
I candle my EE's just fine with a modified flash light. I used some envelopes and masking tape to make a funnel and taped it to my small LED flashlight. Works fine for me.
big_smile.png
Good luck!!

I was worried about this too as this is my first time incubating, but I candled mine a couple of days ago (on day 7) and was able to see veins in the blue/green eggs without difficulty and even in the dark brown eggs from my neighbour's sex-link hens. I just used a big Mag-lite flashlight and cupped the eggs with my fingers around them. It's very cool - you will be enthralled!

Many of us use the LED flashlights and have excellent luck with candling. I have used mine on my Marans eggs and in some of them I can see veining and the embryo, but most of mine are too dark to see much of anything. You should definitely be able to see veining and the "eye blob" in your blue eggs, even with a maglight or something like that.

Good luck and enjoy your candling - it is absolutely fascinating!!!

Lori

DH is napping, so might be a good time to go get his hard hat and use the head lamp on it, LOL
I wanted to try and figure it out before the small children come rushing in from the bus. THEY KNOW it's day 7 and that we can candle the eggs today so I think I better figure it out before they get home.

~Tiff~

I know I couldn't see anything in my EE eggs, even with a great mag light, but the other eggs candled just fine in the spring. Recently I candled some green/blue ones and they were fine, so I think it has a lot to do with the thickness of the shell, because I'm telling you, those green eggs were way hard last spring!

LOL, me too. I have 1 EE egg that I can't see anything thru, cept the air space. So I keep it hoping I will eventually see something like a little peeper.

Candling does no harm so why not do it? I usually get impatient after the first 10 days and start candling daily even though I don't see many changes from day to day.
tongue.png

You don't want too wide of flashlight. The light will leak around the edges and make it hard to see. A small powerful flashlight like the little led ones work better. Others cut a small hole in cardboard and shine the flashlight through that with the egg on top. I just wrap my hand around the top of the flashlight and set the egg between my thumb and fingers. Darker eggs can be a little harder to see if you don't have a good flashlight or candler.

I read a post on here somewhere that said they used a toilet paper roll as the 'funnel' to make the light shine through the eggs. I have some EE's as well, and about the only thing I could see with a regular flashlight was a dark part that got bigger...which of course was the chick taking up space!! But I could see better through the cochin's brown eggs than I could through the banties white/cream colored eggs, so go figure!

Back
Top Bottom