Candled at 5 days. How do I tell if it's good

Julie's Silkies

Songster
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Gloucester, Virginia
I have some RIR and silkie egg , I just candled them . some I could see a ring around the top and others the light went all the way trew it.

How do I know to keep or not or shold I wait longer and candle again.

wait and candle again at 10 days.

You should be able to see clear vein development and movement by 10 days. I never candle earlier than 7 days and never throw any eggs out until after at least 10 days just to make sure. I'd only throw out eggs before 10 days that were obviously cracked, or leaking.

There have been times when candling early, that I wouldn't see anything, but I'd move the light around the egg and he'd show up. At 5 days, you should see the red spider, but it could be running alittle late. I wouldn't be concerned this early.

yes hang on till day 10, by then you will know if there is a chick in there !!! day 5 is hard !!!!

At 4 days I thought I had 7 out of 14 good eggs. At 7days I ended up with 10 showing veins. Wait at least that long before you starting counting any out.

A completely clear egg is bad. Any eggs that remain clear after the 7-10 day mark should be removed so they don't go rotten and explode all over. Before then though it's hard to tell and the egg may still do something.

I candle at 7 days, and mark any questionable ones with a "?". Then at 14 days, if there isn't any change, then I take them out. By 7-10 days, you should see a little "wiggler" in there, but unless the eggs were really bad to begin with, you shouldn't have to worry about them exploding so what harm is there in leaving them in? By day 18, when they get transferred to the hatcher, if the egg doesn't look solid dark except for the airsac or showing any movement, then I remove it.

Patience, little grasshoppah...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom