Candled eggs last night- I can see the babies! :D

SpaceHen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
South Mississippi
I made a post maybe a week ago (my first one on here..lol) about my incubator and the eggs that came with it. I have been dutifully keeping the temperature in the correct range (albeit one time the thing had got up to 111 degrees but luckily it wasn't like that very long), the humidity good, turning , and I made a home made candler (out of a strange mix of household items but it works well) and candled last night, on day 13. 6 of the 10 eggs have babies in them, and you can see them moving around in the egg! :) I was amazed and blown away by this. It's amazing! I have included a video for you to see.

The other eggs , 2 were absolutely infertile and the other 2 were starting to do something, but didn't get very far, it seems. I still have them in the incubator just in case.... should I remove them? I have read they can explode in the incubator.... I don't want that! lol...

Anyway, this is very exciting and I am pleased with my results so far, considering I have no clue what I am doing. lol... hopefully this video will load on here proper. It's dark and grainey, so look toward the right edge of the egg... you can see it moving around. If you are viewing on a smartphone, you may have a really hard time seeing it. One of my friends swears he didn't see it, others say they did. LOL! :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks, chippysmom327! Uh oh, let me try uploading it again.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's see if this one works. Sorry about that! lol

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! It is so exciting, and it is EVERYTIME for me, we just hatched some duck eggs and OMG aMAZING!!

That video is so cool!!! Mine never did that.... I don't think my light was bright enough though... :/ Hm...

So happy for you! Post TONS of pictures when they hatch!

Will do, Chippysmom327! :)

I made my candler out of a strange assortment of household items - a piece of styrofoam, a paint roller, an old empty peroxide bottle, newspaper and toilet paper, and an adjustable Mag-Light flashlight. It sounds impossible to make anything out of that assortment, but it made a candler good enough to see EVERYTHING. I knew I'd be making one so my husband and I looked around and this is what we came up with. I'll take a picture of it and / or post a video of how to make it. You can easily come up with something similar.

I first used an empty soda can with a hole on the bottom, that was ok, but it wasn't tall enough and the edges were a bit jagged plus it was a two person operation, primarily to hold the flashlight under the can, and to keep the egg ever so slightly off the jagged hole. This new one is a one person operation,although you still need to hold carefully to the egg. The way the light is focused on the egg is better, too. :)

Man, those are some strange household items!!! I used a shoebox with a hole cut in it and a spotlight underneath.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom