Candling eggs Day 21

They will usually sit there until every viable egg has hatched. It can take a couple of days. Eventually, the needs of the definitely alive ones will come first, and she'll take them to eat and drink, leaving any unhatched eggs behind her. She'll know when the time comes.

I cam home from work today to hear chirping!!

2 little chicks so far. I wish i had a digital camera to put pics of them! One is all yellow(probably just like the mom,a W/leghorn) and all i saw of one was poking out between the hens feathers had a a white head with a black spot on head.and went down back of neck.

Do brahma chicks have feathers on their feet at hatch?I had 2 roos at the time the eggs were fertilized.A Brahma,and a RIR..

Im real exited to hatch my birds eggs!! Very curious at what they will all look like.

The chicks look very healthy,and are very active!!

Hu!
That's great! Congratulations on the new chicks!

The hen *should* stay on the nest until the oldest chicks start making 'I'm hungry' peeps and that can be 2 days from the first chick hatching.
Then, she has to respond to the cries of hungry chicks, same as hormones and instinct made her be broody in the first place.
Or she could be an aberrant and kill the chicks as they pip and throw them out of the nest.
You don't ever know what goes on in a chicken's head.

smile.png

Lisa

Congrats on your chicks! I also have a hen broody that is sitting on 12 eggs but she has 18 more days to go. Good luck on the rest
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom