Candling eggs... different developement?

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I have a homemade styrobator. I'm on day 14. I candled the eggs and some look more like day 10 development, others look on target, and a couple look day 18 or so. Anyone else had this happen? Just curious if it's common or has something to do with temp maybe? I've read that eggs develop slower at slightly lower temps. The light is in the side of the bator so the eggs that are closer are obviously warmer.

Hi,

I would read the Hatching 101 in the Learning Center first.
When using a thermal (still) air incubator I always move the eggs all over the bator so every egg has an equal opportunity to different temps within the incubator. Many times per day, in fact.
Lower temps, depending on what they are, can lead to developmental anomalies, late hatching, etc. As you already know.
Higher temps can, and per my experience will, lead to early hatches and sometimes the chicks can grow so fast and large that they may have problems getting into proper position for hatching. So you would want to keep an eye out for 'malpositioned' pips too.
Are all your eggs from the same breed of chicken? How long were they waiting before you set them? (Collected at the same time, or over a period of time)
How did you store the eggs while waiting to set?
How are you turning your eggs?
Are you rotating them around in the styrobator?
You want to make sure you don't have early, middle stage or late stage 'quitters' as well.
Will look forward to other's input and wish you the best for a healthy, happy hatching.

Last edited:
I have a LG 9200 still air incubator. I am on my second hatch.

I turn my eggs three times a day but I also rotate them through the incubator. I do this because in a still air you can end up with hot/cold spots. By rotating them I make sure that no one is left in one spot for more than twelve hours. I turn and rotate them at night. I move them up/down one row.

If the incubator is running hot you will have early hatches (chicks developed faster). If you have cold spots the chicks develop slowly (late hatches). Both have their own set of problems but from what my researching has found usually late hatch chicks don't do as well.

I know a lot of people put in computer fans to make home made bators forced air. I personally am not blessed with the handyman/girl gene so I find other tricks and tips to accomplice the desired outcome.

The result of my first hatch ended up with early quitters. I had four eggs left by day 16 however a temperature spike over 106 killed the remaining chicks.

On my second hatch the eggs are on day 7 and so far they look to be on target for development.

Yes I've read it. And everything else I have ran across because this is my first time hatching my own eggs. (Very excited)

Let's see... Yes I rotate them all around the bator but didn't think to do that until a week in. Next time I will opt to use an overhead light rather then on the side. I've read it's easier to get a uniform heat through the bator.

They are all silkie eggs. I got them from a lady on craigslist for free. She gave them to me in egg cartons, fat end up, so I would guess that's how she stored them. She said she had been collecting them for a little over a week and a half. I know the hatch ability drops drastically after a week but since she had them I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I did not store them myself. Other than letting them rest after the drive home before putting them in the incubator. I marked both sides and rotate them 3 times a day. They are on their side as they would be under a mama chicken. My temp in the middle of the bator ranges from 97-99 degrees F. I've seen movement in all the eggs I have now when I candled them.

Back
Top Bottom