candling/hatching question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tbevans, Oct 25, 2015.

1. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

2. tbevans

tbevans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks for your answers! Ill keep tinkering with it till I get the temp closer to 100. Do I just mist them the morning lock down begins? And it beings on day 26 right?

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    According to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (great book, if you've never read it, I recommend it!) misting is best to only do from day 6 to day 24. Not during lockdown. I never misted my duck eggs, but have read that others have had good luck with it. Especially if they are really tough shells. Apparently the misting and drying helps make the shell easier for the duckling to break.

As far as when you lockdown and increase your humidity, day 25 is most common, but check your air cells and development that day and use that to determine if its time.

4. tbevans

Aug 23, 2015
    Ok I'll see if I can find the book!

5. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    How long were those eggs not brooded by the mallard hen? I don't remember seeing this in posts. Curious.

6. tbevans

Aug 23, 2015
    I'm not exactly sure. I went out Monday evening and noticed she wasn't sitting and the eggs felt cool to the touch. I left them in the nest that night. Tuesday she was still not sitting at all, so I collected the eggs, candled and posted pics. Threw out the bad ones and put the good ones under a heat lamp until I was able to get to town. I made a homemade incubator and got them in it late Tuesday evening.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  7. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    That's what I thought I remembered. The hen must have gone back to her nest for that night. I doubt eggs/embryos would survive being chilled that long.

8. tbevans

Aug 23, 2015
    Your guess is as good as mine! Lol I couldn't believe they were still alive!

9. tbevans

Aug 23, 2015
    Well I believe I have lost one. I opened the Bator to turn the eggs and I got a stinky whiff. So I decided to candle to check it out. One of them I didn't see movement, the rest I did. So I did the smell test. All smell normal except for the one with no movement..I do believe that's where my stinky whiff came from. Should I go ahead and take it out?

10. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

If you are sure that the smell is coming from that egg, yes you should remove it. Smell means harmful bacteria. Many of us have had bad eggs explode; not something you want to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by