candling/hatching question

Ok thanks! I gave it the benefit of the doubt and left it in there. This morning when I went to turn the eggs, the smell was way worse, so much worse I gagged! Lol so I decided it was time to take it out. Sad to lose one but thankful I still have 3!

This morning when I candled I didn't see movement in 2 of the 3 eggs I have left. All 3 of the eggs look different when I candled. The 3rd egg has major movement and the embryo looks larger. The other 2 look different. Can someone please tell me what you think? sorry for so many post and questions.

Egg #1-no movement

Egg #2-no movement

Egg #3-major movement

It's hard to say from just these pics, but I would leave them all in for now and see how they look at next candling. They do sleep alot as embryos and sometimes don't move when candled, but the next time they'll be awake and swimming away. It's also possible they could have died of course, but don't lose hope just yet! After all they've been through it would be a real shame to lose them now, but at least you do have the one that is still looking good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for these other two!

This morning when I candled I didn't see movement in 2 of the 3 eggs I have left. All 3 of the eggs look different when I candled. The 3rd egg has major movement and the embryo looks larger. The other 2 look different. Can someone please tell me what you think? sorry for so many post and questions.

Do not be sorry about the number of posts. We learn as we try to help. What you post may help someone else. Keep posting. Considering what these eggs have gone through I am amazed that any show movement. Like the others have posted, leave the eggs in the incubator and hope for the best. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I put them back this morning and I'm praying they move next time I candle!

I'm pretty excited and have to share...my mallard started laying again! :) I cracked it (I know I shouldn't...) but I just had to know if it was fertile!

I'm thinking it's a no, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first few duds??

Last edited:
I wanted to let y'all know that this was a helpful forum. I'm the duck mom of a Cayuga and Peking duck. Goose, my Peking duck was vented by the vet and started laying 9 days ago. I'm not sure if Henry, my Cayuga is a drake or hen, but I bring them in every night and it sounds as if there is some hanky panky going on at night and Goose has some hair missing from her neck. Because of this forum I will candle the eggs and let you all know. Thanks again!

We lost an egg. I'm not sure what happened, but it was broken when I went to let them out. The other 8 are clear when I candled them. There were 2 that kind of looked like there was a yoke inside, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty excited and have to share...my mallard started laying again!
smile.png
I cracked it (I know I shouldn't...) but I just had to know if it was fertile!

I'm thinking it's a no, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first few duds??

That looks like a bullseye to me, so it does appear to be fertile. It would just be a tiny white dot if it were infertile. The first few are not duds, they can absolutely be fertile. I checked both of my Cayuga girls' first few eggs this past Spring and all were fertile.

Back
Top Bottom