candling help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bangor777, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I just candled, day 14 on buff orp shipped eggs. i discarded two as they candled clear/yolk looking and one of those had an odor. I cracked them open (outside) and was thrilled to just see yolks (terrified I'd see a chick [​IMG]

here's my question. what I could see on the ones I kept was mostly dark, nice air cell at top. I had seen movement on these eggs on day 7 (so cool). three of the eggs had their air cells extending down along the side. Is that normal? the rest had air cells in a neat circle at the big end.

I had this crazy thought, maybe because they were shipped in the heat and collected over a period of a few days, could some be farther along than others?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't think that any of them would be farther along than the other but the misshaped air cell is common for shipped eggs. Sometimes those ones hatch, sometimes they don't. If you are seeing a dark mass in the eggs, then they sound like they are progressing just fine! Good luck to you! [​IMG]

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    With shipped eggs, if the eggs are developing, the affects of shipping have little to do with hatch results at this point. Eggs that are truely ruined by shipping will not develop at all. The odd shape to the aircell is because of partial membrane detachment from the shell, this is due to shipping and the egg being stored in odd positions during transport. These eggs have a good chance of hatching normally and I would not worry too much. If you see a big scoop out of the air cell on both sides, keep an eye on those eggs, the membrane will be too closed in on the chick for proper rotation at hatch time, good luck!

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Sounds like the odds are in your favor!!! Hope you have a 100% hatch now!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by