Candling Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantamBud, Sep 2, 2011.

1. BantamBud

BantamBud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Lockport,NY
    I need some help I have some serama eggs.I am having a hard time candling them thay are 3 days old in the incubator.Will the others grow at a different pace or should thay all grow at the same time?
    I labeled the pictures of 2 eggs.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think this one is good is it?
    [​IMG]

I am really hoping at least 2 hatch [​IMG] .I have 6 little eggs.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    they both look good -but you shouldn't candle until AT LEASt day 5 to see positive results. I wait at least a week before candeling-I want to be sure I know what I'm looking at-they do grow at different rates to some extent-good luck [​IMG]

3. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Three days in the 'bator, and you have no experience candling? I have to wait at least 10 days to be somewhat certain what I'm seeing, and even then won't toss anything for another week unless it starts stinking!

Am I a nervous nelly about rushing it, or are you unusually brave?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:both! [​IMG] I toss at day 7 if they are clear-its obvious at 7 good and bad ones-total clear at day 7 gets pitched and sign of growth make it until the next cut off at day 14:)

5. BantamBud

Aug 31, 2011
    Lockport,NY
    Thank you sooo much!!!I was soo worried about them:)This is my first hatch.Some one at tsc told me to candle them at 3 days so thay wont creak and infect the other eggs.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:dont ever listen to people at TSC-haha they never seem to have the right info on much when it comes to birds!

7. BantamBud

Aug 31, 2011
    Lockport,NY
    Thanks!!![​IMG] And i was worried about them infecting the other eggs:lau I feel very embarrassed now.Thank you i bow to you sonew123 [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:aww stop Im blushing-I just hatch too much is all [​IMG] Im almost to the point where I'll load the bator and realize 10 days have passed! I check temp and humidty 2-3x a day and walk away-Since I have a brinsea 40dx-I don't have to do anything except add water 1-2x a week than forget about them! LOL-I have even forgotten when lockdowns are and hatching days-then i hear chicks peeping and I have to run to my calendar to check what day it is! Glad to help:) Good luck!!! [​IMG]

9. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I have learned to never listen to people at farm stores... they generally have NO CLUE!
    I have my first batch of eggs in right now too. I'm like you... anxious, nervous, excited... I have a few that I'm not sure on, so I'm waiting until day 14 to candle and make the final cut. I just don't want them exploding inside the 'bator! Eww.... Also, no smell yet, so I'm still crossing my fingers.

Best of luck!

10. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:aww stop Im blushing-I just hatch too much is all [​IMG] Im almost to the point where I'll load the bator and realize 10 days have passed! I check temp and humidty 2-3x a day and walk away-Since I have a brinsea 40dx-I don't have to do anything except add water 1-2x a week than forget about them! LOL-I have even forgotten when lockdowns are and hatching days-then i hear chicks peeping and I have to run to my calendar to check what day it is! Glad to help:) Good luck!!! [​IMG]

OK... new at this too... what is a "lockdown"? Also, I read to turn the eggs every 8 hours, except for the last three days. Is this right and why/why not? Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by