Candling issues

ozzy chooks

Songster
Nov 28, 2017
Canberra Australia
Hello, Iridescence, my broody is currently sitting on eggs: today is day 18! - some pics in this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/getting-ready-for-chicks.1226334/#post-19662374

I tried to candle the eggs in the past three days and I cannot see much. Eggs are blue (araucana breed).
I think the method I use is correct because when trying with one of my eggs I can see through (the egg was white and unfertilised) pic 1.
20180311_191833.jpg

Out of 7 eggs, I can see clearly through one which is not fertilised I think. That egg is less blue, kind of off-white.
For five of them I see nothing apart from the air cell: the rest is all too dark.
For one I think I could see some veins close to the air cell (pic2).
20180312_140203.jpg

Could anyone help and confirm (or otherwise) that pic2 is a fertilised egg, please?
And what does the fact I can't see through the other 5 eggs mean? that they are most likely fertilised or not fertilised? Or I am useless at candling eggs? :rolleyes:

BTW when yesterday Iridescence got out to quickly eat, she literally flew around for few seconds like stretching so much, so funny:)

Thank you!

The full eggs mean that the chicks have grown so much that they're blocking almost all of the light. Your hatch really should not be long now--if you want to see interesting moving things, candle around days 10-16

Back
Top Bottom