1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling overdue eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jonezjollyfarm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    So I had the one egg pip yesterday and I can see the broken part of the shell has moved put no other pips. I can still see vibrations on the thermometer idk if that's the chick that popped or the others trying to get out. Is uncommon for them to pip that far apart?

2. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Well I went in this morning to beg and plead with these eggs and saw a second pip that broke the shell but not the membrane and after playing some baby chicks on my phone I heard a peep or 2. Hopefully I have more pips today.

3. EaeMre

EaeMre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga
    Awesome! So how many chicks so far?

4. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    No chicks. Just 2 pips. Before I left for work I was playing hen sounds on my phone and they were peeping when they heard it.

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hope the little pippers hatch! Next time raise your incubator temp half a degree and it will help them to hatch on time.

Post some pics when they get here!

6. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I got another pip. The original pip still hasn't emurged. I want to open the incubator and move the unpiped under the heater because that seems to be where they are pipping. You know that would kill them all?

7. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    You think that would kill them?

8. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    And maybe do a quick candle on the nonpiped?

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    The pippers are absorbing their yolk and it could take a day before they start zipping.

I don't like to open the bator when there are pips unless there is an urgent need. But it's up to you.

10. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    So 4 more have pipped since I got home from work. And I think the last 3 are well on there way. But... I'm not so use how the first pip is doing. It pipped around 220 yesterday afternoon and is still not zipping and I haven't seen any movement since I got home. To be fair I haven't seen it move sine it pipped but I can tell it have been it's beak is a poking out a little. Is it just resting? Or is it dead?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by