Candling pics (day 8 in the incubator(help hairline crack in egg#2)

88heather

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Black Forest, CO
I have NEVER done this before.. I did however decide that Egg #3 needed to be tossed and I tossed it this morning.. #2 is iffy to me and #4 I'm thinking may need tossing too.. I have the Mini Advance Brinsea incubator..

Ok.. Here goes

Egg#1 (Easter Egger- green egg) I think it's a good one.
cool.png

DSC_0017.jpg

Egg #2 (Blue Americauna- blue egg)

DSC_0020-2.jpg

Egg #3.. (Blue Americauna- blue egg).. Ok.. this looks bad and I tossed it this morning.
sad.png

DSC_0023-3.jpg

Egg #4 (Blue Americauna- Blue egg).. uhhhhh????? i'm afraid this may need to be tossed too.. but haven't yet.. wanting to hear what ya'll have to say first.

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Egg #5 (Black Copper Maran).. sooooo hard to see thru these even with my candler meant to candle dark eggs.. but I think this one is a good one.

DSC_0028.jpg

Egg #6 (Black Copper Maran).. I think I see veins?
DSC_0030-1.jpg

Egg #7 (Black copper maran).. I have 2 pics of this one.. I think it's good too..

DSC_0034.jpg

another view:

DSC_0033.jpg

Thoughts? Input? I tossed #3 this morning.. #2 and #4 right now are the main 2 I don't know about.. but would love opinions since this is my first hatch!! If I only hatch one chick or just 2 out of this incubator.... anyone know where I can find day old chicks and FAST!?! I'd think they'd need other chicks to huddle with..

thanks for any help!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
When in doubt, keep it and re-evaluate at a later date.
I agree with your good 'uns.
Number 2 may be good, just a different angle, I'd check it again in 3 or 4 days and if it remains the same open it up to see what happened. Kinda think it is a goner, but, would wait to make sure.
Number 4 reminds me of the eggs that never do anything, but when I open them up, discover the yolk has popped inside the egg. But I'd once again, wait at least till day 10 to remove.

I'm thinking you have 4 eggs that are doing very well, which is cause to
celebrate.gif
and the brinsea's in general are very reliable. Sure do hope you have a great hatch in 13 days!

thanks!! I have been worrying whether i'd have ANY good ones b/c of buying them from Arkansas and having them shipped here at our altitude (7400ft).. I had read the altitude could be a factor.. so when I saw egg#1 it looked the best and was easier to see thru.. then when I saw 2,3 and 4?? i just scratched my head.
lol.png

I'll photo and post again in a few days.. I should of taken more pics of each as some pics were blurry but I think I rushed b/c i wanted to get them back in the incubator even though I read they can be out for up to 20 min or so and be fin while candling.
smile.png

Last edited:
Uggh... JUST saw that egg#2 has a hairline crack in it! It was an egg I already questioned.. Help!.. what do I do?? is it a goner? Do I wait and candle again in a day or so?? Do I just candle tonight (Day 9)??

Anyone can answer????

If there is a hairline crack, and you believe the egg to be viable, then you need to handle the egg as little as possible to keep any bacteria from entering. There are threads on people succesfully hatching eggs with cracks in them; some use candle wax, others use tape and others do ??. The only time I tried to work with a cracked egg, the egg never developed past day 6 or so. Since that egg is iffy to start with, if it were my egg, I'd leave it be until day 10 (unless odors arise...), recandle and then decide if I wanted to patch the crack or not.

and I see no reason to hold on to egg #3... except to make a scrambled egg for the hens with.

your photos are great!

Thanks!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Next time when I take pics.. i'll try and take more pics of each egg since i had some blurry pics.. Now looking at pic of egg#2.. that line you see in the pic.. i think that is the crack! it's kind of a long crack.. tomorrow would be day 10.. so tomorrow night I'll take one more pic of this one.. holding it super super careful!! Yikes.. then if it's good.. i'll be trying to figure out how to patch it!
lol.png

You have all helped me so much. This is my first time trying to incubate eggs. I have 7 bantam (don't know kind cuz their for a friend) and they all look great with veining and all you need to see. then on to the Marans *I* wanted.....So far one looks good and a whole bunch that we don't know about. And those are the Blue Splash Marans with lighter brown eggs. I have some Black Copper Marans but I've been afraid to even try. My DH's light only lasts for so long so we can only do a few at a time. This whole process is overwhelming to me! If I see a dark line at the top of the darkish area, wouldn't that be a sign that the egg is a goner? Can I hire a professional candler to come do this for me?
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom