Candling question- to toss or not to toss?

sloallie10

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
CA
I have a bator on day 14. I candled the eggs last night. On day 14 i believe you really arn't suppose to see anything, and the egg when it is lit up should be like black, or normal, or you cant see inside, is this correct?
So, out or 12 shipped eggs, 5 were all black which I am planning n keeping those, but the other 7 are either clear, or you can see some stuff inside, but I believe they are not suppose to look like that... so...
Should i toss the clear or semi clear ones?

Quote:
On day 14 the egg shouldn't be all black (unless they're quail eggs), but you should be able to see movement from the chicks and a fairly large aircell. I would toss the clear ones.

Quote:
On day 14 the egg shouldn't be all black (unless they're quail eggs), but you should be able to see movement from the chicks and a fairly large aircell. I would toss the clear ones.

Well all I am using to candle them is just a cheap flashlight. The eggs look like the day 14 egg in the sticky post on candleing eggs in this section if that helps.

Quote:

Well all I am using to candle them is just a cheap flashlight. The eggs look like the day 14 egg in the sticky post on candleing eggs in this section if that helps.

Can you see an aircell? Veins?

use a bright led flashlight, you should be able to see movement just below air pocket, and some veiny stuff. it helps to shine the light into the air pocket. you may only see like a shadow move, but movement is movement. the ones i tossed one was clear with a black spot, clear with a blood ring all the way around, and one that was clear with some mushy junk . cracked them all to see, only one had an embryo, the one with dark spot. it had the blood ring also. this was at day 10.

Quote:

See, thats the thing we are using a cheap flashlight so I am just assuming that thier are viens and stuff

Also how do i know its a lead flashlight?

Quote:

See, thats the thing we are using a cheap flashlight so I am just assuming that thier are viens and stuff

You need to go get a better flashlight. My small LED one cost me like 5 bucks and works well. Even with a non-led flashlight you should be able to see the aircell. If your eggs are totally dark with no aircell at day 14 something is not right with them.

Quote:

You need to go get a better flashlight. My small LED one cost me like 5 bucks and works well. Even with a non-led flashlight you should be able to see the aircell. If your eggs are totally dark with no aircell at day 14 something is not right with them.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to get a new flashlight asap!

Quote:

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to get a new flashlight asap!

When you get your new flashlight shine it down into the egg from the top....hopefully you'll see a nice sized aircell and some viens and the chick.

Back
Top Bottom