Candling Question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sachasmom, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    My first batch of eggs is at like Day 8 1/2, LOL I just couldn't wait til day 10, so I just candled one to see. I used a flashlight, should I put a piece of fabric or something over it with a hole?

I first did a fridge egg, so I could see the difference. My incubator egg has a dark blob, it looks like its on one side though, not the middle.

Is that a viable egg? I am assuming that means its fertile, right? Yay, my Roo is fertile! [​IMG]

This is our "practice" batch before I buy "real" eggs! I have already decided it is way too small, I could only fit 31 eggs in there!

2. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    i just cup my hand around my small flash light. I tried to make a candler out of an old oatmeal container w/hole cut in bottom (about the size of a quarter), but I found my hand worked better.
    Can you see the blob move? If not check it again in a day or two. My eggs are dark brown and I had to wait till day 10 to be able to really see much. At day 13 I could finaly see the veining. Good luck!

3. Sachasmom

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Nope, the blob didn't move. Should it be in the middle of the egg, or just sorta on one side?

4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I have some that look like they are more on the side, and 2 that I think are more in the middle. On those I have to spend a few min looking at them to see it. I think they are playing hide and seek [​IMG] I would leave it in and check again in a day or two. You should have an easier time seeing if it moves and the veins. Some of mine wont move right away, but if I just keep watching they will.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
  6. Sachasmom

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Okay, I took another one out to see. I'm going to have to sit on my hands to keep from opening it up to keep checking!

This one def had a small moving blob. I almost missed it, man, it was quick! [​IMG]

This egg is in the carton, the other one is on its side. I wonder if that makes a difference? I started out with all on their sides, but it was a pain to turn them, so I moved all to cartons, except Blobby Egg, which wouldn't fit. I guess since it is fertile, its my test egg to test the different hatch method?

Fingers crossed for me that I don't mess this up! I even have a hen outside who I think *may* be going broody. She has a nest with like 8 eggs on it, she isn't sitting yet. I'd incubate those if only I had another bator to put them in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by