candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantaclear, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bantaclear

bantaclear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    High River
    I put one egg in my incubater on Monday, will i be able to candle on friday to see if anything has started ?

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    If you have a very bright flashlight and good eyes you might.... might be able to see something. But if you don't know what to look for I would wait until day 10 to candle

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

4. bantaclear

bantaclear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    High River
    its a homemade incubater and i wanted to see if i could keep everything stable with an egg in. I would rather waste one egg than lots. Im a noob when it comes to incubating lol, but i do know what to look for when candling my sister-in-law showed me what to look for when we candled her eggs, but i dont have her to help me this time lol .

5. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I don't have the answer for you as I am a newbie at incubating also. I have been told by the very knowledgable [​IMG] people on here to wait until day 10. That day will be on sunday for me! [​IMG] But I just want to [​IMG]! The greatest site and nicest people!! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

Ok, I hate to be the thunderstorm over your picnic here, but I want you to know that hatching one chick is not a great idea. Chickens are flock animals and they NEED another chick with them to survive. If you are home full time and can make this a house chicken, it will follow you everywhere and be very needy. Lone chicks left on their own usually don't survive. [​IMG]

Do you have another few eggs you can put in there?

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Lone chicks tend to do poorly, unless they are raised by a broody. Even then they end up weird. Always playing World of Warcraft, bad skin, never moving out of their momma's basement....

8. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Or you can buy a chick if it hatches! It would be hard to say if it was the incubator or the egg. Lots of variables = that's what makes chicken math so wonderful!

I think it also depends on how dark the shell is. The lighter the egg, the easier it is for me.

Good luck!

9. debilorrah

Quote:Now THAT is really good advice. I have been fearful for that one little chick about to see the world!

10. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Someones been skipping math class.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by