Candling Questions ( pics added, help please!)

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well, i tried to candle a few eggs that I was REALLY uncertain about.
I have only candled a few eggs ever, so I am still new at what to look for. On most I saw the veins , and then most of the egg was occupied except for a small section on one end, and i believe those are good.

But here are some other things I encountered :

Some has spots that were lighter than others in the egg

One has clear sides on both ends and was full in the middle.

One has small dots on the inside that were lighter

and then of course some had pinkish blops that could be seen on the inside.

Are these air holes, and are they bad ( im thinking yes but not sure)

All advice is appriciated, I am also looking on a few web sites, but some are a little tricky.

Pics below

Last edited:
I have another thread on here explaining what happened, but basically my mama duck was doing good with the natural incubation, but 2 days before the 28 day period was over , and they got quite cold, but mama refused to set again, so I took them in yesterday and have had them in a crude incubator since.

Quote:
In your 2nd post, you say that the eggs got cold, so it is possible that some of them have been getting cold throughout, which would make them develop more slowly. They could still hatch at a later time. Just remember that you don't need to toss them out as long as they are not stinky or oozy. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Thank you so much!

I havent tossed any out ...yet

They dont stink and are not oozy,

By lighter spots, I ment that they were more transparent when candling and looked purple when under a normal light.
Id provide pics, but I cat find my adapter
hmm.png
My only camera is on my phone

Ok, well they arent the best but here are the pics, Im not sure what is good or bad EXACTLY so all help is highly valued

Notice, These are random pics of the eggs.

So..

Good or Bad?
k9uszc.jpg

alg6sh.jpg

2zjgjk9.jpg

2mo78go.jpg

dzxgg7.jpg

53v5ua.jpg

10nyko8.jpg

2e2jpm0.jpg

k2cxzk.jpg

2q89c1f.jpg

go into photobucket and resize your photos 600x600 or so large website size. This should shrink them enough so we can see the eggs. Good luck

nevermind, I can see them now...well, sort of. You would get a much better look using a flash light and cupping your palm so that the only light you can see is from shining through the egg.

Last edited:
Well, I'm definitely no expert, but a couple of them appear dark enough that I would keep them for a few days to see. Photo 6 looks like it has a good air cell and photo 7 to me sure looks like an embryo/duckling. Can you see it move at all? Sometimes, as things progressed, that's all I would do, is look to see if I could see anything moving at all.

You also might want to try putting your lamp inside a carboard box (just be careful of fire) with a small hole cut in it. Then set your egg on the hole and shut all the other lights off. That will direct your light to the egg more and make it easier to see.

Back
Top Bottom