Normal 14 Day Egg? Newbie Candling Pic

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
Quick back story, I went out of town and left my hubby in charge of the incubator for a few days. It’s my first time incubating eggs which I will give to a broody hen when and if they hatch. I candled them all before I left around day 10, and this egg looked weird then, I thought it might be a goner because the veins look sort of “drippy” down one side. I got home today and took another look and the only way I can describe what I’m seeing is maybe a vein that’s free floating and looks like it has a curl on the end? My son tried to take a pic but it was really hard to see it. The little chick seemed to be moving around. Just want reassurance, they were set on the eve of 6/6 so due 6/27 I think. They are a neighbors barnyard mix eggs and I’m using a cheap Amazon incubator which I have had a very hard time keeping humidity levels stable (lesson learned to get a better one!) Thx for any input on the health of this egg, I am brand new to candling too, the other 8 looked similar but the veins looked attached to the sides.

Attachments

• 4B1B2FF5-E70E-4156-9C22-09E955E4C005.jpeg
    4B1B2FF5-E70E-4156-9C22-09E955E4C005.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 76
  • D1FD1891-4691-4761-9D26-61190338B3A9.jpeg
    D1FD1891-4691-4761-9D26-61190338B3A9.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 29
Quick back story, I went out of town and left my hubby in charge of the incubator for a few days. It’s my first time incubating eggs which I will give to a broody hen when and if they hatch. I candled them all before I left around day 10, and this egg looked weird then, I thought it might be a goner because the veins look sort of “drippy” down one side. I got home today and took another look and the only way I can describe what I’m seeing is maybe a vein that’s free floating and looks like it has a curl on the end? My son tried to take a pic but it was really hard to see it. The little chick seemed to be moving around. Just want reassurance, they were set on the eve of 6/6 so due 6/27 I think. They are a neighbors barnyard mix eggs and I’m using a cheap Amazon incubator which I have had a very hard time keeping humidity levels stable (lesson learned to get a better one!) Thx for any input on the health of this egg, I am brand new to candling too, the other 8 looked similar but the veins looked attached to the sides.
Sorry I don’t know much about this stuff, I’ll reply to this to get people’s attention;)

If you see movement that means the chick is alive so I would definitely take that as reassurance. If you have a broody hen that’s been sitting awhile and you trust her, you could put the eggs under her now? I put two 14 day eggs under my broody last time she wanted chicks and she hatched them both just fine 🤗

If you see movement that means the chick is alive so I would definitely take that as reassurance. If you have a broody hen that’s been sitting awhile and you trust her, you could put the eggs under her now? I put two 14 day eggs under my broody last time she wanted chicks and she hatched them both just fine 🤗
Thank you! Yes she’s broody, but the reason I took the eggs away to incubate was because she chose the prime nest box the majority of my 15 hens lay in 🙄. 2 were already accidentally broken by my GIANT Buff Orpington. Just hoping these hatch, I can’t believe how nerve racking incubating is! I don’t understand how people can get addicted to it??

Is there any scope to move your broody hen to a different nesting box where she won't be disturbed? That's a shame that two of the eggs got broken. I'm not sure about incubating as I've never done it, my broody hen has hatched all the chicks.

Is there any scope to move your broody hen to a different nesting box where she won't be disturbed? That's a shame that two of the eggs got broken. I'm not sure about incubating as I've never done it, my broody hen has hatched all the chicks.
Yup me too, I get a broody every summer but this one just chose the wrong box. I really can’t move her, not set up for anything else at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom