candling ? Solid black inside?

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
Last year was my first year hatching, but I hatched several batches and got kinda used to what candled eggs looked like.

So tonight, I candled the eggs under a broody I have. The first 4 I candled were infertile, or else newly laid and not yet developing (I think infertile). Then the next one was SOLID black. Now, I know in the final stages the eggs appear mostly black, but on this one I could not make out an air pocket. It just looked all black, from all sides... No clear at all.

what does a rotten egg look like candled? Is this egg rotten, or about to hatch??

Any ideas?

No, all the eggs are not hers. She started sitting over a month ago, but she got kicked off the first bunch of eggs. So, then she was still setting, on about 3 eggs. Then I look, and there's an EE egg in there too. So I gave her a blrw egg. Last night when I was candling, I'm pretty sure her eggs were the ones that were infertile. They're slightly smaller than the others. But the one that was all black was slightly smaller as well....I dont think I candled the blrw egg, or the ee egg, as she started getting upset with me lol.

It was weird, because all the eggs I could see into great, and they were all clear, then I grab that one it was just all black.....weird.

I guess that's possible... but it was NOT the EE egg I candled.. I know that much lol, my EE eggs are blue, this egg was brown. I've tried to candle dark eggs, tried to candle a black one in the incubator last night in fact, and I think this is different. This was not like not being able to see into an egg, this was like seeing into an egg and seeing all black. I'm now wondering if it's possible I missed the air sac, or if the chick is broke into the airsac, and either died in there blocking it from sight, or is about to hatch.

I just dont know.

I'd be careful a solid eggs with no clear view of an air sac could be 2 things. A rotten egg or a chick that has piped the air sac.

Edited: For my bad spelling..LOL

Last edited:
ahhh thanks Teresa, a rotten egg is what I was wondering, as I didnt know what a rotten egg looked like candled. some of these eggs could have been there for over a month, so there's a very good possibility it is rotten. I think I'll just leave ma broody alone and let her do her thing lol.

Back
Top Bottom