candling turkey eggs

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
It has been 72 hours so we candled the turkey eggs that were given to us. They are from a black heritage breed we are told. Anyway, we candled tonight and all we can see through the speckled egg is the yolk. Can't make out any veins. I tried to have my DH crack one open to see if they were even fertile. We have 13 eggs and to me that is not a good number. That is why I tried to have one checked to make it 12.
wink.png
Shouldn't we have seen something by now?

yea i am on my second set of turkey eggs and i didn't start seeing veins until day 7 and 8 so just gotta have patients
smile.png

Good luck with your incubation and hatch!
jumpy.gif

Thanks you two. My turkey book says you can candle at 72 hrs. I do have patience if I know what to expect and when
wink.png
I was just assuming they may not be fertile since we didn't see anything yet. We will candle again on day 7, BirdBoy. Thanks again.

We candled again on day 7 (last thursday night). The turkey eggs are so heavily speckled that it was hard to see any veining. The only difference we can see is that the yolk has taken on a different shape (flatter) and the air cell is getting larger. I wish we would have cracked one open to see if they were fertile.
roll.png
My DH is going to continue to turn them and see what happens.

Quote:
Not sure, my DH and DD candled them and this is what she had to say. They could see the air cell getting larger and a dark shape in the egg. One of the eggs they could not see anything. They were right on that one bad egg. Just Monday night they started hatching (we had Wed. pegged for the hatch date) 10 turkeys out of 13 hatched. Not bad for a still air and no humidifier gauge. But I heard the flash light and tp roll works.

Back
Top Bottom