Candling video - day 10 - am I correct in what I'm seeing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    This is a day 10 candling video...sorry, it's a bit blurry - hard to hold the camera and turn the egg at the same time.

I candled egg #1 first, then egg #2, and then egg #1 again.

Egg #1 looks clear...I had a hard time seeing the air cell. Why? Is it possible it IS developing, just not very quickly?

Egg #2 looks good to me. It sure seems like an awful big blob...is this due to the veining/blood supply in the yolk?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff66/Wadamson/?action=view&current=Candling-3-9-09.flv

Thanks for your feedback!

2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Egg one looks infertile

Egg two has a good air cell on the fat end, however, it's hard to see any veining..is egg two dark in color?

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I had trouble seeing any veining as sell. Egg #2 is blue, but not dark. It has a very thick shell is the only thing I can think of. I did see a little solid black "blob" in it, but did not see the little blob move or anything.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I agree egg #1 looks infertile. I would give it a few days and check #2 again. I tried to candle my dark brown eggs at day 7 and could not tell. I just did it again last night on day 10 and was much easier to see the movement. I still can't see much veining. I have read that green eggs are even harder than brown.
    Good luck!

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, Needtohatch - I don't mind leaving them in ther'es a possibility they will develop, but I've heard too many stories about eggs exploding, and I sure don't want that to happen! [​IMG]

I apprecaite the feedback!

I'll re-candle these two eggs at day 14 and post an updated video to see if there is any change.

6. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    The second egg looks very good, the first one is a dud if they are both 10 days old, crack it open and look to see if it was fertile or not or check for other signs, it is a good learning experience and you can learn to tell in future when you candle what is good and what is bad.

7. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    i thought that they only get that dark the last few days...I only have 3 days left and I can still see through part o fthe egg...(not air cell..thats separate)...could it be bad?

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    carinlyn, I'd just wait for hatch date. At day 18, they should look completely "full" exept for the air cell.

9. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Quote:Well I have goose eggs so it's not until day 32 they they can hatch...sometimes a bit earlier...I was just saying that since mine is about as close to hatch date as hers I can still see through a small fraction of the egg (not the air cell) which helps me see if they are moving or not...It's only like 1/2 an inch I can see though (keep in mind...goose egg)...

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    OH, I'm sorry - shame on me for assuming you had chicken eggs incubating! [​IMG] I bet they're just fine, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by