CANDLING--- what am I seeing in my eggs??

Disqard -

big_smile.png
Thank You for posting the Link!

That is a really informative thread. Stuck a Link on my desktop for future reference. Those pics really cleared alot of things up for me.

ms.cluckling :

WAAAH!!! I was turning the eggs, and I dropped one!!! now its in the dump
hit.gif
I am heartbroken.
ANd before you think that I'm a big wimp, remember that i've never done this before, and this is REALLY big for me...
sad.png

Been there. My first hatch was a 120 bobwhite quail in a LG with no turner. I think I ended up dropping and cracking three eggs. I ended up buying the turner.​

okay, it is now day 15. I have figured out that of the 15 only 9 are fertile. Do I throw away the others?? they don't smell...

also, one of the 9 has something inside it, but its really tiny, and looks like the others did in day 2...
its just a little dot that moves, but only when the egg moves. Do you think that's because it stopped developing? Should I wait and see what happens? or should I take it out?
Also, one of the embryos is HUGE!! it takes up nearly the whole egg, even though it seems a bit too early to be so large... A friend of mine said that one of his hatched on day 19... is that what could happen to my big one? or will it hatch on time and simply be a huge chick?
smile.png

SOOO excited!! this is my first hatch ever! until now, my only experience with birds has been a rescued hawk (she crashed into my fence with a broken wing--she was put to sleep), 3 parakeets (2 now, one flew away), and several baby sparrows I have rescued. I can't wait!!

also, any brooder ideas would be greatly appreciated... I'm running out of time!

Thanks so much!

I am in the situation. I am on my first hatch. I am scared to death. We only did 10 to start with. I wanted to do more but my husband said not yet. So I am with you. I am going to have a nervous breakdown before the 21st when they are due. Good luck to you

I'm hatching duck eggs for the first time. I've done chicken eggs already but I never candled them. The eggs are a dark brown and figured I wouldn't be able to see through them. I can see through the duck eggs because they are white. I don't know how to add a link but if you look up "How to candle duck eggs" you will get some good sites. What I looked at were Metzer's Frams, Candling Picutures by The easy chicken for beginners, and Quackers candle pix. So, if you see them on the list when you put in the "How to......." question those are the ones to check out. My ducks should start hatching on the 7th. I can't wait.

question--one of the embryos is HUGE!! it takes up nearly the whole egg, even though it seems a bit too early to be so large... A friend of mine said that one of his hatched on day 19... is that what could happen to my big one? or will it hatch on time and simply be a huge chick?
smile.png
lol

Back
Top Bottom