Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherndon712, Jan 13, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I don't have a candler, nor does ANY store around here carry one. Any ideas?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can use a high powered mag lite flashlite with fairly good results.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use a surefire 6p with LED upgrade. Don't even have to take the eggs out of the bator to candle!

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thats what I use, the one with LED bulb.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have used a high powered small mag lite ....just darken your room.....I have also made a homemade candler from an inverted heat lamp added a 100 watt bulb and made a blacken cover from a frisbee, just cut a hole out of the middle...both work great...

6. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can also use a slide projector with the beam pointed upward and a cover of some sort to concentrate the beam and sit the egg on. That's what I do-works beautifully, and alot of people have those just gathering dust in the attic or bsmt.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Cyn, what do you put over the light. Since you have been talking about this so much it made me remember how great it works from when I was younger. Just won one off ebay.. I don't think I ever covered the end before, but that sounds like a good idea.

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I have a candling question too. When are you supposed to candle, and why do you even need to? Cant you just wait the time and then throw out whatever eggs dont hatch?

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I think most people candle on day 7, 14, and 18. It's good to candle so you catch rotten eggs before they blow up. Plus it's good to get the bad ones out so you can have more room for the little fluffy butts to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by