Canker HELP NEEDED! Don't want to cull him. :(

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I thought this crap was curable, treatable??? Hes been on flagyl for 8 days and it just seems to be getting worse. I've been tube feeding him. He hasn't lost any weight and still has a strong crow. The cheesy stuff is hard and won't budge. His mouth is so slobbery. The smell is GONE. He does try to pick at his food on his own. But otherwise just stands there. He has been in a crate in my house for 18 days. Had to wait on the flagyl, was on copper sulfate before that. What to do?? Is there any hope at this point???

I am going through this right now, treated with FishZole and seemed to work at first, then she crashed again. The canker comes from pigeons, it doesn't live long in the environment but does well in water or moist food. I switched her over to Medizole, which has Ronidazole 10%. She seems to be doing better on that one and that is a newer drug from what I understand. Has a wide safety margin. If you need dosage let me know. Hopefully that won't build resistance but if it does, I have another one coming in the mail - not in the zole family and kinda expensive. I would suggest trying one of the other four zoles, and I learned you have to keep switching them as they become resistant. I've also been giving her ProBios to try and avoid any secondary infect. Watch her drinking - I read one where they cured it by pulling the water and only offering it 2x/day - looks like that's what I'll have to do otherwise she drools it all over and her crop becomes a water balloon. You have an advantage in that she has not lost a lot of weight. Get on top of it and stay there, it is a long treatment. (My fight is still ongoing).... BTW, don't try to remove the lesions. When they are ready to, they will fall off on their own. In removing them you could open a sore and she will bleed or worse yet, leaves it open to more infection for something else. Has to heal from the inside. I tried all the iodine stuff - everything. Does nothing but stress her out. No advantage gained there by doing that.

I was going to pick up some Genitian violet stuff in case she comes down with thrush, she hasn't so far. Canker is caused by a protozoa, which is actually an animal! It has one cell only with flagella, not the same as candida, which is a yeast (thrush) Another confusion exists on pox, b/c pox is viral and treated completely different. The sores that pox causes might be called canker, but that's only cuz canker is a catch all term for a sore. The type of canker here is called trichomonas and is usually t. gallinae. Humans get it too, but in the form of t. vaginalis.

Back
Top Bottom