Canker

Nelzon

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
My rooster that I have noticed has a yellow substance in his moth that I believe to be canker because I have done some research and he has been getting some medicine and it has been getting smaller but he does not want to eat a lot is there a better medicine and some liquids that I could feed him?

My rooster that I have noticed has a yellow substance in his moth that I believe to be canker because I have done some research and he has been getting some medicine and it has been getting smaller but he does not want to eat a lot is there a better medicine and some liquids that I could feed him?
If you're giving him metronidazole/flagyl or one of the other meds prescribed for canker, that's all you can do. Dont expect him to be cured right away, but it should clear up in about 5-7 days if you're giving him one of the meds I mentioned. Casportpony provided a link on how to tube feed him.

I've had a couple like that die earlier this year, both were treated for canker, but died anyway, guess I should have tried a good antibiotic, too. Now I have two more, both with look almost exactly like yours did, one can eat, the other cannot, but I also have both wet and dry pox now... it's all so confusing, lol

-Kathy

Quote:
Mine was an isolated, one time occurrence. It sounds like yours is more than that, either from the pox (which I've not experienced) or canker (which can spread through the water and food of an infected bird)

I made the tough decision to send mine off for necropsy. Even though it was nothing contagious, I don't regret doing it. It's a relief to know what you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom