Canned Vegetables?

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
So, over the last year I have accumulated more canned veggies than I will eat.
I have things like mixed veggies, whole corn, creamed corn, carrots, string beans, etc . . .

Nothing is over 2 years old, can chickens eat these foods if drained?

Im talking about my 2 week/younger chicks, some being eatin chickens.

k, but beiing that canned veggies are pre-softened, how critical is grit in this case?

I have thought about this all morning, and think Ill just give the various canned corns to my meatbirds, help fatten them up.
But would they need the grit?

I guess it couldnt hurt to have it in there with em . . .

Thankyou jerseygirl!

Yes, I would think they would need grit!
smile.png

Today I gave my girls a can of corn and a bunch of bread..more treats that I normaly would. When I collected the eggs I only had 3 out of 7 hens. I have been getting 6 or 7 every day. My take on this was that there treats didn't give enough nutrition and was a major part of there intake.
Has anyone else ever seen this happen.

Only as a treat, not as a full meal. And do rinse the sugar and salt out as well as possible.

If the canned goods are not out of date, you could donate them to a food bank or charity.

I grew pole beans last year tht I let get tough before i canned them. They just aren't good beans....... Hey the chickens can eat them! I've drained a jar, poured a handful out and almost had my fingers amputated!!! the next day I took a jar out to them, they were pecking the jar as i tipped it over.
gig.gif
They LOVE those greens. hasn't slow down their laying a bit. In fact today, I received 19 eggs out of 22 ladies.

If I walk into the coop with a bread bag they jump up and start ripping it apart. One day last week Igave them a jelly donut..they went crazy for it. I have never gave them anything artificial before and most likely won't again. The reason I have laying hens is so I can control what goes into them.

Back
Top Bottom