Canning and Home preserving

Hi all! I have a question....this is a little long but I wanted to give y'all a little background. I made some raspberry jam yesterday as well as some Apple Butter this morning. All high acid foods...I did all the prep for jars, lids, food, etc and processed in my steam canner per the instructions as well as the UW Extension guidelines for steam canning. I've steam canned for a few years so I'm familiar with it.
The issue I'm having is with the lids sealing. I used reused jars but I used some Ball lids that I've had in my lid stock pile that I've added to over the years. I processed the jam like I always do but the lids didn't seal. I checked the jars and the head space and that looks good, and I reprocessed the raspberry with new lids- again from an unopened box of lids from my stock pile. Again no seal. When I did the Apple Butter this morning, I used reused jars and my lids from my stockpile and one jar from a new box of Ball jars with lids bought a week ago. The "new" lid sealed just fine but the other lids from my stock pile did not.
I believe that the lids from my stock pile didn't seal for whatever reason. I'm thinking due to age? or where I kept them in my pantry(?), not from the actual canning process. I've never had a problem with lids sealing until this year as I normally use new jars and lids but had to go the reuse route due to scarcity of canning supplies this year. I've stream canned tons of jars but have never had this problem until this year with sealing.

Now here is my question. I have a vacuum sealer with a mason jar attachment for when I seal dry foods. Is there any reason why I can't use that to seal my jam jars? The jam has been processed twice and the Apple Butter once so they have gone through the sterilization process.
I have more jam to make but don't have access to getting newer lids because there is no canning supplies in my area.
Thanks for your help and your time!

Are you wiping the top of the jar with and the inside of the lid with vinegar before putting together and processing? Sometimes washing used lids leaves a little something (grease or whatever) on the rubber on the lid and it won't seal. I always wipe the top of the jars with vinegar and have recently taken to wiping the lid also, just for a little insurance.

And using a vacuum sealer will work if you plan to store in the fridge and use it fairly quickly, or longterm storage in the freezer, but I don't think I would trust it for longterm storage of a food item. I have had most of my vacuum seals fail within a year for craft items that I had sealed in canning jars for storage in my closet. The paint tubes did dry out also.

Maybe put a layer of parafin wax on top, them seal it? My mom always did jam with wax seals.

I was thinking the same about the rims being dirty. Reusing jars is typical, so that’s not an issue. Over heating lids might be an issue though.
If you look up how to can water, it tells you to go ahead and reuse your used lids. I did for all but two jars, and all sealed. It takes a lot to hurt the lids, and age shouldn’t matter either. Goodness knows my lids are old.

Back
Top Bottom