Canning and Home preserving

Pics

perchie.girl

RIP 1953-2021
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego county High Desert
I am currently on a learning expedition... Gastric sleeve surgery and have lost 100+ pounds so Far. But the result is I cannot eat more than seven ounces at a time. I hate waste.

Add to that I am moving home where the power brown outs often or simply goes off. Desert end of the grid... Lots of Wind. Plus I am living off social security as of October. Sooo

The solution for reliable no waste food is home Canning. Ingredient canning, Soup Canning, Vegetables, Jams and jellies.

Here now before I move I have started first pressure canned product was Turkey broth. First water bath products, Apple butter, Cranberry sauce.... And finally Non pressure canned Ghee.

Ghee shelf live is 6 months or more Room temperature and opened. Use a fresh clean spoon for using it to Fry. Ghee can be used to deep fry if you have enough. Ghee is an Indian Butter product. Cooked gently till the milk solids caramelized and sink to the bottom. Then strained and poured into the container of choice. I poured it into canning jars piping hot... The jars sealed... But it is not pressure canned so I will freeze it.

My main canning projects will be:
Beans
Beef
pork
Chicken
Fish
all in half pint jars...

I hope to make Corned Beef and pastrami. I need a smoker for the pastrami.

Still trying to make bone broth... SMH... That will get frozen because the gelatin doesn't make it through the pressure canning process. From what I have read.

What have you all Canned

Last edited:
For what its worth the Corned beef will get cubed and Jarred up with extra pickling spices. The Pastrami will get hung in a cool box... still need to figure out how to build one... Or it will get sliced and frozen in freezer bags single serving size.

I may give pastrami a try in the dehydrator. then freeze it.

deb

Following along as I enjoy canning and would like to try preserving more things for my family :)

So far I have only water bath canned jams and peaches.
Welcome.... I am very very new to all of it. I found pressure canning to be pretty simple... You can get Presto pressure canners at Walmart. I had mine for more than two years before I decided to try. They have a pressure safety plug if it goes wrong so the most you might loose is the paint off the cabinets from the steam....:lau

I cant wait to do my own tuna... :drool a friend gave me a jar of home canned tuna one year and I cant get it out of my mind when I buy Canned tuna... I am going to do salmon as well...

deb

Following too.
I do water bath canning of mostly tomatoes and pickles.
I have done peach butter, Apple butter and some jams as the garden produces.
Welcome.... I don't have a garden as of yet. But I would love to grow a few things and can them. The plan is to do Aquaponics... Tilapia will be on my canning list as well. But I am intrigued by Chayote squash... Its supposed to be a prolific grower and producer growing on vines so should be a great addition to my green house room. I want to grow Black eyed Peas English peas and Okra. Though I didnt know the stalks on Okra were so tall ... I may do an indoor raised bed for them.

deb

Back
Top Bottom