Canning and Home preserving

Pics
So maybe it has to do with how it was processed. All the bear I have had was taken in to be processed and there was little to no fat on the meat.
Unfortunately when you take meat to be processed, there is no guarantee that you will get back what you took in.

That could be, because bear is a very lean meat.

Seems like those who had it or know someone who has say it was greasy. That's strange as I have never had greasy bear before. I wonder if it has anything to do with what type of bear or where the bear came from?
Could be the type of bear or what it eats. Venison tastes different, depending on the deer’s diet. Our deer are all corn fed, and the meat is pretty mild. I’ve had venison that came from somewhere near the Black Hill that tasted quite strong and sagey.

Unfortunately when you take meat to be processed, there is no guarantee that you will get back what you took in.
Which is exactly why we process our own venison. Especially after our nephew worked at the local meat market one year during hunting season... :sick

I'd like to try doing that...if we could ever nail a deer during hunting season. This year I saw 4 big fat does but I managed to bump them on the way to my stand and they bolted into thick timber with no chance of a clean shot.

We also have CWD here so deer have to be tested in our county but other than that, no reason why we couldn't process our own meat.

Our neighbors process their own meat so maybe if we get a deer this next hunting season, I'll ask them to help us butcher.

Back
Top Bottom