Canning Apple Sauce... Question!!! Please reply fast. LOL

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SterlingAcres, Oct 15, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Okay, so I made a few jars of cinnamon applesauce today. The jars were recycled and I'm not sure if the lids were new (or if I even need new lids?). I gave them a water bath (boiling water for 10 minutes) and all but one seem to have sealed.

Should I trust that? Not the one, I know, obviously. But all the sealed ones. Will they keep or should I freeze them or something?

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I dont know, but you should mail some of those out....hint hint. You DO need taste testers dont you?!?

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] I've got 8 taste testers in this house. But if you really wanted some, I could send it. [​IMG]

4. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    STEP AWAY from the Jars!!
    it can take up to 24 hours for the jars to seal. I almost always use new seals, but if the sauce was not bubling out of the jars, you should be ok.. just let them sit..

5. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Always use new flats. Thats too much work to not get a seal. You can reuse rings and jars but not flats. You must have a seal or refrigerate! Its so much fun and work to can ,but we have to make sure its safe! My info comes from me teaching food safety and a master food preserver for many years.
    You will have to do a lot of applesauce to send samples for all the taste testers that have so graciously volunteered [​IMG]!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can tell if a jar top have been used before by looking at the seal. If there's an indent from the jar, don't use it.

Applesauce should be processed per the time limits on this website: http://www.pickyourown.org/applesauce.htm

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You MUST use new flat lids.

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    So, I'm refrigerating or freezing this apple sauce? Will it freeze in mason jars and be okay?

10. Vikkisrooster

Vikkisrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes you can freeze the jars. Last week we made some as well and I didn't have any extra new flats so we put it in jars and just froze it! We used some good old Pennsylvania apples,made great applesauce and applebutter!
    ~~Vikki~~[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by