Canning Apple Sauce... Question!!! Please reply fast. LOL

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
Okay, so I made a few jars of cinnamon applesauce today. The jars were recycled and I'm not sure if the lids were new (or if I even need new lids?). I gave them a water bath (boiling water for 10 minutes) and all but one seem to have sealed.

Should I trust that? Not the one, I know, obviously. But all the sealed ones. Will they keep or should I freeze them or something?

Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

STEP AWAY from the Jars!!
it can take up to 24 hours for the jars to seal. I almost always use new seals, but if the sauce was not bubling out of the jars, you should be ok.. just let them sit..

Always use new flats. Thats too much work to not get a seal. You can reuse rings and jars but not flats. You must have a seal or refrigerate! Its so much fun and work to can ,but we have to make sure its safe! My info comes from me teaching food safety and a master food preserver for many years.
You will have to do a lot of applesauce to send samples for all the taste testers that have so graciously volunteered
lau.gif
!

Yes you can freeze the jars. Last week we made some as well and I didn't have any extra new flats so we put it in jars and just froze it! We used some good old Pennsylvania apples,made great applesauce and applebutter!
~~Vikki~~
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom