Canning question

You're so right about freezing is almost as much time as canning. Last year, I grew field peas for the first time and froze all of them in gallon bags. During the year, I'd pull a gallon bag out of the freezer, and then have to cook them, and then maybe freeze the leftover, since it's just DH & me. This year, I was brave enough to can them. Now, I can just open a jar, heat & eat!. I was like you, thought I might ruin the crop if the canning didn't come out right. So I did just a small load at first, and they were delicious!

You do realize that beans & peas need a pressure canner? Most veggies are low-acid so they need to be processed under pressure. Unless they have additional acid (vinegar) added, like in pickles or salsa. For years, I canned only jams & jellies. 2 years ago, I finally got over my fears & got a pressure canner, and a whole new world opened up for me & my canner!!

And any pot that's big enough can be used for a boiling water bath canning pot. So don't limit yourself to only those pots labeled as canning pots. Just put a rack of some sort at the bottom & you're good to go.

I will have to invest in a pressure canner for next year! I've done a little research here & there but haven't been brave enough to take to plunge lol
I've been working on DH about growing our own broilers, one of the negatives has always been about not having the freezer space, which is the truth. I usually do my beans, peas and corn in bags for 1 meal. Then I put them all in 2 1/2 gallon bags to keep it organized. I have 2 big bags of peas and 4 of green beans. I haven't even started on corn. Having these out of the freezer and into the pantry would certainly save space!

some things are better canned, like green beans and some like corn is better frozen. Definitly get you a canner pressure cooker. The all American is a good brand and I have used others too. Presto is a good small one. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom