Canning?

RanchHand - I certainly agree with the pickles! I just don't know how everything will "hold up" while being canned for an extended period of time. I just imagine somethings coming out gross and squishy, even though I know (for the most part) they wont!
smile.png

Chicken Stalker - Thank you so much! I can't wait to check it out!
ya.gif

I had never canned ANYTHING until this last fall, then my concord grapevine put out its first harvest (small though) and I started with one jar of the best grape jelly. Then it just snawballed from there. We live across the street from an apple orchard, so I put up 15 quarts of applesauce (different flavors, strawberry, raspberry and plain), 8 pints of applebutter (hadn't ever even had it before), 12 quarts of apple pie filling and about 5 pints of raspberry jam/jelly. My inlaws grow raspberries, so I lucked out there!
Hopefully this year we'll get more than a handful of blackberries from that new vine and I had planted some other kind of berry, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is now. Maybe boysenberry?
I've already ordered 50 strawberry plants from Gurneys (don't tell my hubby!)

I came to give you the same link Chicken Stalker posted so I'll just say I hope to see you over there!
smile.png

by far the best thing to can is home-made vegie soup.we put up about 40 quarts last summer.nothing better in the winter than to buy some ground beef,brown it and pour in a couple of quarts of soup
droolin.gif

i looked the other day and i am down to 5 quarts
barnie.gif

I'm pretty new at canning myself, but this past fall/winter I learned how to can venison with my Grandma's help, chicken soup, and red pepper and garlic jelly - tastes like sweet & sour sauce! My mother-in-law got me the fantastic "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving".
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom