Cannot figure out how to feed and water in new chicken tractor!!!

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
We are going to be putting our chicks out in the tractor this weekend, and I am at a loss as to what kind of feed and water system to put into the tractor. We currently have the standard small waterbottle with water tray attached and circular plastic feeder with holes in the top, but both get filled with shavings from the chickens scratching around in the brooder.

Here is our tractor:

55617_chicken_tractor.jpg

I am planning on putting shavings in the upper portion, which has a ramp that is raised and lowered to either let them into the enclosure below or lock them safely in at night. The nest boxes are located out the back and are covered and locked.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the pvc feeders and waterers? After much thought and looking on byc, I decided on these types of feeders and waterers for my tractor. They work great. No water mess or contamination and plenty of feed for the girls even when they are locked in for a couple of days due to the weather. I use nipples for my waterers. In the tractor itself, I have a cranberry juice jug hanging from a hook with a nipple throught the cap. I made a harness for it from a piece of cord. Works great for my 8 girls. I also have a pvc waterer in their portable run. Also used nipples. For my feeders, I have an L shaped feeder with a screw cap on top and holes cut out on the bottom for feeding. It is attached by two bungees to hooks in my tractor. Allows me to easily remove it for filling and cleaning. I also have a straight pvc feeder with a y attached on the bottom for the girls to eat out of in the run. You could easily build something similar for your coop (nice job by the way!). I got my nipples from a fellow bycer, Neil Greenbaugh. He has the best prices and is very helpful. Do yourself a favor and look up pvc feeders and wateres. Easiest, cheapest and best way to go!

To keep shavings out of the food and water, I elevate them so that the tray they are eating and drinking out of is at the level of the shortest chicken's back. It helps a lot! I usually just set them on something, but some food and water dispensers can also be hung or attached to a wall.

Check out my byc page and you will see the feeder inside the tractor. Click on my Run page and you will see the nipple waterer. You can also check out these sights: www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3772684 www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2275076 These were helpful for me and my design.

got my nipples from a fellow bycer, Neil Greenbaugh. He has the best prices and is very helpful. Do yourself a favor and look up pvc ...
www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4360392

Let me know how you made out!

Back
Top Bottom