Can't decide on meat bird breed, input requested.

Oh, I will have to look those up. Dark Cornish and K22. I have also heard people talk about crossing the White rocks with Cornish. Anyone ever try that?

Dark Cornish are a heavy breed, not a broiler.

Although, historically, they were used as broilers before commercial hybrids were developed. My neighbor raises them as a delicacy. I think they taste fine, but they have nowhere near the muscle development of a broiler.

Thank you ddawn. Are all the Cornish basically the same? It sounds like it in the description. So why use the Dark when they would probably not look quite as nice when processed due to the dark feathering.

How about a White rock, white cornish cross? I am sure someone has tried this. Are they a good meat bird?

Quote:
Yes, they have and yes, they are. It's called a Cornish X, the standard of the meat bird industry.

If you are talking about crossing them yourself, you can do that just fine I guess, but they won't be like the beasties you can order from what I hear. People have been crossing Cornish's with various breeds for over a hundred years. I plan on playing a bit with it myself.

I get the Dark Cornish because I like the way the birds look alive and don't care how they look dead, since I skin mine. White Cornish is hard to find, I understand, but a good alternative might be the White Laced Red Cornish for a lighter colored bird.

The parent strains of the "Cornish" and "Rock" they use to make the CornishX look utterly nothing like either a Cornish or a Rock.

Doing your own backyard hybrids is absolutely fine and fun (science which ends with food). But you can cross anything, really, and the results will be pretty similar. Although I would always choose to use a Dark Cornish as the terminal sire as they add the length and width tot he breast, due to their more upright conformation.

It seems a shame to have to worry "what will the neighbors think?" when deciding whether or not to process your chickens at home. As long as you know it's not illegal, not considered animal abuse in your neighborhood, and you know you're dispatching them humanely & efficiently, then go right ahead.

Of course you shouldn't do it right at the fence or make it otherwise obvious & loud. But there's nothing I do while processing my birds that I wouldn't want my neighbors to see if they care to look. Except for the slicing & bleeding out, which takes about 3 minutes per bird, the rest looks very much like preparing store-bought chicken in the kitchen. In fact, some folks do much or all of their processing indoors.

One BYC member recently described how they butchered a chicken in their bathtub!

Back
Top Bottom