Can't figure out what is wrong with this hen. EDIT: Defintely ill.

3 chicks, the weather isn't helping. I'd like to put her out with the flock during the day today at least for a little while but she has to struggle against the cold wind.

Update: Stella is in the basement. She was standing inside the puppy cage this morning. I hope she slept and did not stand there all night. There was no adequate amount of manure. The paper towels were stained with a lot of liquid that was white, yellow, and clear. It had that strong smell of ammonia. Nasty. There were a few stains that looked like they could be blood spots. :(

She tried to eat some of the crushed up pellets (a good sign?) but didn't seem to eat that much. She did not have any interest at all in mashed boiled egg or yogurt. She drank a small amount of water.

When I let her out she walked across the room and did a very small poop. It was watery and greenish. Not much there. She explored the basement for 20 minutes and then went back into the cage on her own. She tried to get in the window seat but could not. It is only 18 inches high, which is the same level of her roost so if she can't jump up there then she can't roost either. She seems no better or worse. She has not preened her feathers since we soaked her and she looks befuddled but she still curious and will come out of her cage and walk around the room. She makes no sounds at all.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say... No, worms shouldn't cause what-sounds-like-constipation, though I wouldn't know for sure. Could it be a mineral deficiency? Manganese deficiency says it causes the feet to swell and turn out, but it could be almost anything at this point. I know vet isn't a very good option (I can't afford it either), but I don't know how else to help. You certainly are doing everything you can to make sure she is comfortable.
fl.gif

Thank you Mykee. Still hanging in there with Stella. I have Valbazen on hand as well as the Duramycin but hesitate to give either one. I guess de-worming would be less harsh than antibiotics (which I hate) so I am going to observe her today. I do appreciate your responses.

I picked up some electrolyte and vitamin mix along with the meds and that is all I have given her so far. I opened the door to the basement a few times but at this point she doesn't want to go out. She will stand in the door in the sun for bit and then go back into the cage voluntarily. She did drink some water but has not eaten. She threw up a little (gross!) and has pooped one more time. A small watery bit of green poop.

EDIT: She went out and stood in the sun for awhile. She watched the flock eat broccoli, took a standing nap and then came back in when it got windy and went into her cage on her own. So sad for her. Can't tell if she is slightly better or if I am just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Haemony, I have a 2yo hen with the EXACT SAME symptoms as your girl. I've given her soaks, also, and felt around inside for an impacted egg and there was nothing. Her abdomen is hard and distended and she has the same gait. I'm of the (ignorant) opinion that she has a broken egg inside, but don't know what to do about it. I have 9 more hens, 3 roosters, and none of them are showing any signs of being ill. Surely there's someone on here who has knowledge about this and can tell us what to do.

If there is generalized abdominal/lower body swelling that is ascites. It is fluid build up in the body cavity and can be caused by several factors including egg yolk peritonitis or other egg laying related problems, heart/circulatory problems or liver/kidney function problems as well as other things. It also causes the strange gait with legs wide apart and toes pointed in. There is no way to cure it without finding out what the underlying cause is and treating that... and the underlying cause usually is not something treatable. With the exception of egg laying complications which can sometimes be solved if the owner wants to spend a whole lot of $$$ trying a spay surgery. Some hens survive that, some don't since their condition is often poor at the time of surgery. A hen can be temporarily made more comfortable by treating with antibiotic's and draining the fluid with a needle but it always returns.

Haemony... I have no idea if this might be what is going on with your hen or not. She might have some other kind of bacterial infection going on, it' almost impossible to know. At this point a round of antibiotic's certainly will not hurt and may well help. I would give it a shot in an effort to save her.

Thank you cafarmgirl. I have been reading and reading and sadly it does seem the closest match to her symptoms is egg yolk peritonitis or some other internal laying problem and that it is probably an infection. I don't know for sure but I think you are right. All I have is powdered antibiotic though. No idea how to give a shot and do not have the equipment. Is there anything I can rig up or aquire at a pharmacy? Should I go ahead and give the powdered antibiotic tonight and go hunting for a syringe? Any idea where to aquire one? My local feedstore does not have it. Thank you. So sorry for all the question. I'll do what I can for her.

CherryMeDarlin' I am sorry to hear about your hen and hope she is not in the same fix. Seems difficult or impossible to cure it. It's been a week and all of my other birds are fine. They have no problems at all. I think I am going to lose this one. I hope not. I do appreciate the comments and support.

What is the name of the antibiotic you have? I'd probably just go ahead and give her that. I took the last hen I had with this problem to my avian vet, as much to get info as to see if it could be treated, and he put her on Baytril orally. That and draining the fluid helped her immensely, but 6 weeks later she was on her way to being back in the same situation when she suddenly died.
As far as syringes, I don't have need of them very often at all but usually just get them from the feed store. You might be able to get TB syringes at a pharmacy, not sure.

Best of luck with her, all you can do is give it your best shot.

Thanks so much for your reply. All I have is Duramycin. They had no Baytril or any other antibiotics at this feed store. Most of their supplies are for horses. We brought her inside for the night and I was just sitting here wondering if we should dose her again with the epsom or start her on anti-biotics so I guess I'll start her on the Duramycin. Dosing her with epsom and soaking her perked her up temporarily but then she goes back to her hunched up sad self.

Last edited:
I agree with cafarmgirl that it might be ascites. My mother had a 3 yr old Barred Rock hen with it. She had a waddling gait because of the water buildup in her abdomen and she stood hunched like that for long periods of time. She wouldn't roost with the rest of the flock either. I put her out of her misery after a week of listlessness. I'm sorry if she does have that condition, I don't know of a cure/remedy for it.

Last edited:
I also agree with cafarmgirl, it does sound like ascites or EYP, either way, her outlook is grim, at best. I'm not an expert, but I believe this is a veterinary emergency and you might be able to save her with surgery and powerful antibiotics.

FWIW, there was someone on BYC that did their own surgery and last I checked, that hen was still alive. I'm not saying you should do this, just thought you should know.

Back
Top Bottom