Can't figure out what is wrong with this hen. EDIT: Defintely ill.

This is so sad
hit.gif

My bird Ingrid has most of these symptoms and I can't afford the vet/antibiotics nor can I part with her. I have been giving her constant homeopathic remedies ( probiotics,oregano,cinnamon ect.) And epsom salts baths - she stinks and she has a swollen back end - And one moment she seems a bit better but then all of a sudden we are back to square 1
idunno.gif
She is four now...is that old? Right now I am away from home and will be for another week and there is not a day that goes by that I don't worry about her.
fl.gif

I know I speak for everyone who has posted here when I say this is so terrible to see - all I want is my happy Ingrid back

Mykee, thank you for your reply. I appreciate any ideas. So sorry than an owl took your hen.

Would internal parasites cause a blockage? Her abdomen feels hard and a bit distended right beneath the vent. She is walking awkwardly with one foot turned inward and is obviously in pain. She is in the house now so she is warm. She is stinky again. None of the other hens seem ill. They have no symptoms.

I let her back out with the flock after her soak but she seemed to decline slightly. She stopped eating and drinking but she did not hide. She stood in the sun with her eyes closed. She did still try to keep up with the flock and went into the coop and then the hen house on her own in the evening. She did not go to roost but stood in the corner with her face against the wall shivering. It is below freezing tonight so I brought her back into the house. I am always torn about removing a hen from the flock. She really seems to want to be with them but I could not leave her on the floor like that and I want to observe her.

I gave her a dose of epsom salt and some water with a syringe. She ate a few pellets I had smashed up for her but did not drink or poop. She released a bit more yellowy goo. Now she is (hopefully) asleep in a cozy box in a puppy cage with a blanket over it. She has a little food and some water in there with her.
Haemony, I know your post is not recent, but I am curious about the outcome. I have a hen doing the same and am worried she may not be with me much longer.

If there is generalized abdominal/lower body swelling that is ascites. It is fluid build up in the body cavity and can be caused by several factors including egg yolk peritonitis or other egg laying related problems, heart/circulatory problems or liver/kidney function problems as well as other things. It also causes the strange gait with legs wide apart and toes pointed in. There is no way to cure it without finding out what the underlying cause is and treating that... and the underlying cause usually is not something treatable. With the exception of egg laying complications which can sometimes be solved if the owner wants to spend a whole lot of $$$ trying a spay surgery. Some hens survive that, some don't since their condition is often poor at the time of surgery. A hen can be temporarily made more comfortable by treating with antibiotic's and draining the fluid with a needle but it always returns.

Haemony... I have no idea if this might be what is going on with your hen or not. She might have some other kind of bacterial infection going on, it' almost impossible to know. At this point a round of antibiotic's certainly will not hurt and may well help. I would give it a shot in an effort to save her.
Ascites (water belly) would’ve been my guess. Had a hen have these exact symptoms and it was Ascites. She was sickly, stopped laying and lost lots of feathers in addition to the other symptoms. I drained her twice. Gave her oregano oil, Vit C drops and brewer’s yeast everyday. It’s been two months now and she started laying again!! I’ve gotten four eggs from her this week. Feathers have grown back and you’d never know she has Ascites now.

Haemony, I know your post is not recent, but I am curious about the outcome. I have a hen doing the same and am worried she may not be with me much longer.
Welcome To BYC @BrownBetty if you can start a thread of your own describing symptoms, age, feed and include photos, you will likely get more responses/suggestions.

1689099324451.png

Back
Top Bottom