Can't figure These Out! *UPDATE*

maybe it is a mutt bird they had, lol. They did ship some EE, and this one seems to be bigger than them too. I thought they were always hatched with the muff thingie.

They both look rooish, and I believe the first is production red; agreed on the EE boy.

how can you tell at this age? I normally cant tell until they are atleast over a month old and the comb/waddles start developing more

This is my first time ordering only pullets, I ordered 25 and 25 came in the box, do they normally not give you what you order? should I not waste my money next time and just get straight run?

I think they are too young to tell yet but the first one looks a whole LOT like my welsummer chicks and for the second one, I don't see anything that tells me it is definitely an EE, I would wait and see how that one develops.

Edited to say: I don't see anything that tells me these are roos either. They are too young to do anything but guess by the comb right now and those would be guesses since we don't know the breeds either. The first definitely looks like a hen to me and the second is only questionable as to whether it is hen or roo.

Last edited:
I was secretly hoping for a welsummer! I will post more pics as they grow. The second doesn't look like the EE they sent me. Has different coloring and the white chest feathers and no beard is questionable. As they get older we will know, I hope

If it wasn't for a the fact that I have a couple welsummer chicks, just about exactly that age, I wouldn't have probably known that they looked just like mine. As for coloring, EE's can be any coloring, but I have to think that the coloring pattern of this chick is more defined than you would find in a mixed EE chick and although I do not know what it is, I have a feeling it will turn out to be some pure breed, despite the leg color.

Quote:
But vent sexing is like 90% accurate. It's not a DNA test, people make mistakes now and then
wink.png

When I got 3 pullets from the TSC pullet bin they were all pullets, when I got 3 Reds from the straight run "assorted red" bin I got 2 roosters.
I'd say money spent on pullets is well spent, even if there is a mistake once in a while!

Last time I ordered straight run I ended up with a bunch of roo's. I didn't know it was 90% accurate. you're right, it is still worth the money if only to get a couple. I am going to look up welsummer chicks and see what they look like.

Back
Top Bottom