Can't find auto-door to fit large pophole

OK sorry I just drop those two links and ran off. Just got off the phone with Rod the creator owner of the Ador company. Had a hour conversation with him. Super nice guy.

Anyway, the ADOR2 should cover the current opening. And the photocell extension comes in 4 feet and 12 feet. They also have the remote "manual' open and close push button.

Back to the photocell tho. Aliexpress has one that I like very much. It has a protective cover and looks rubber sealed. Rod and I discussed that theirs is a photo infrared Diode type and that regular photocells may not work as good but he told me of a guy who told him that the regular photocells did work. Just not as good. The photo infrared Diode type are a lot more "sensitive" but also don't trigger giving false starts. Has to something to do with heat not just light. I think. Was thinking if you like it you can order and find out, if it doesn't work you can still use the casing with theirs.

ScreenHunter 0115 2022-09-29 16.07.jpg

Mouthpear, I agree on Rod at Ador. I talked to him three times before buying. He is the designer of the Ador and answered all my questions and that’s one of the main reasons I went with the Ador. Plus, they have all the parts right there if there is ever a problem.

Need some help...have researched online and looked through past BYC posts but can't find the answer.

I would like to install an auto door for the coop. However, there is an existing door with a pophole (opening) that's 12" wide x 14" tall. I need to do an interior installation since the opening has a swing door that opens outwards (into the run). Also need an auto door style that slides up and down since I don't have side-to-side space. Please see photo.

I can't find any doors that meet my criteria, which are:
- Need to be able to set opening/closing on a timer. Since a light sensor on the inside of coop would not work properly due to light levels.
- Need door style that slides up and down.
- Need width to be 12" so that there is something to screw side rails of the auto door into.

I understand that I could make modifications to my existing pophole. Or make a custom door. Both of which I am trying to avoid. So I wanted to see if you guys knew of any doors that might work for our installation.
Just outta curiosity, why won't/can't you just add a section of plywood inside over the opening and in that plywood, cut a hole for a smaller door? Not even plywood, some 1 x 4 or 6 can be added to the sides to make a mounting frame.

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for all the advice. I did look into the Ador but really wanted a timer to be able to control the exact time.
So finally today I got my auto door installed!

I ended adding 3 pieces of 2×6 to narrow the opening to 8" w x 11" h to fit the Run Chicken. I wanted to keep the larger opening but decided it wasn't necessary. So I went with the Run Chicken for the timer function and simplicity of design. You can even program it using your cell phone through their app.

I haven't put it to use yet but will see how it works tonight and tomorrow morning!

Attachments

• 20221002_142156.jpg
    20221002_142156.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221002_142524.jpg
    20221002_142524.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for all the advice. I did look into the Ador but really wanted a timer to be able to control the exact time.
So finally today I got my auto door installed!

I ended adding 3 pieces of 2×6 to narrow the opening to 8" w x 11" h to fit the Run Chicken. I wanted to keep the larger opening but decided it wasn't necessary. So I went with the Run Chicken for the timer function and simplicity of design. You can even program it using your cell phone through their app.

I haven't put it to use yet but will see how it works tonight and tomorrow morning!
Good, you went with a mounting frame.

When you said

"- Need to be able to set opening/closing on a timer. Since a light sensor on the inside of coop would not work properly due to light levels."

Seemed like you wanted a photocell operated but since you thought it was not going to be possible, you would need a timer operated door.

Back
Top Bottom