Can't find auto-door to fit large pophole

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Need some help...have researched online and looked through past BYC posts but can't find the answer.

I would like to install an auto door for the coop. However, there is an existing door with a pophole (opening) that's 12" wide x 14" tall. I need to do an interior installation since the opening has a swing door that opens outwards (into the run). Also need an auto door style that slides up and down since I don't have side-to-side space. Please see photo.

I can't find any doors that meet my criteria, which are:
- Need to be able to set opening/closing on a timer. Since a light sensor on the inside of coop would not work properly due to light levels.
- Need door style that slides up and down.
- Need width to be 12" so that there is something to screw side rails of the auto door into.

I understand that I could make modifications to my existing pophole. Or make a custom door. Both of which I am trying to avoid. So I wanted to see if you guys knew of any doors that might work for our installation.

Attachments

• 20220826_194759.jpg
    20220826_194759.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 57
Remove the existing out-swinging door and install the auto door on the outside, as it will now be your door. Because of the oversize opening, simply install some strips of wood to make it smaller for the auto door. I have experience with a T50 Run-Chicken door and see no reason it couldn't be installed there in less than 10 minutes.

The Ador Turkey door is 12.5" wide. Their site does mention an inside mount scenario.

We installed an Ador1 in our coop. The original opening was too large, so we filled in some of the hole, to get the door to mount.
I looked into the Ador. Looks great. But it only opens/closes based on light sensor. Afraid it might be too dark in the coop to function properly...

I looked into the Ador. Looks great. But it only opens/closes based on light sensor. Afraid it might be too dark in the coop to function properly...
ADOR1 has a remote light sensor. My door is inside. The sensor has a 12’ two wire cable that I ran to the east side of the coop. Opens and closes at just the right time without reprogramming. Great door.

My Ador1 is inside the coop. It has the remote photocell and a remote up/down button, both of which I mounted outside the coop. I really like the door. Easy to install and ruggedly built. I didn’t have to change the programming at all. Plug and play.

Back
Top Bottom