Review: Battery powered chicken door! (A+)

I have an ADOR automatic door, runs on solar and one of those square C cell batteries that last about 3 years. My only issue is that we had an ice storm one day and the door was frozen shut--girls stuck in there the whole day. Thankfully, I keep food and water in there just in case, but still. I then learned they would not come out even with the door open if the ramp was icy/snowy. I think the slippery scared them, so I had to rig a roof over the ramp. Easy fix, but wish I'd known in advance. So, no matter what brand you get, watch for this sort of thing.

I am looking at the Ador 1 door. It would be covered soi wouldn't be worried about ice. How do you like the door? Is it dependable? I have read the set up instructions. They seem to be a little confusing. Does it need direct sunlight?

Thanks

I love my ADOR door. It beeps and they quickly learn to head inside when the right set of beeps does its thing. I think it beeps once at 5 minutes, then at 1 minute and then beep, beep beep just before it closes. The only ones who don't go in on time are the babies who have not figured out the ramp, but I tend to watch them nightly until they learn and so no one gets shut out. Sometimes we get a thunderstorm that causes the door to shut, but that means they get stuck outside and I notice it's shut in time to reset it. And, as for my icing issue, I simply set 2 sawhorses beside the ramp and laid a piece of plywood over the top but under the door housing so that the sensor was not blocked. All fixed (except they still don't like slippery). When we get weather that will be iffy, I always put food and water in the coop and, if they get stuck inside, it's no big deal. We get icy rain much more often than snow and the ice will cause it to not open/close but, if you have a cover, you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom