Can't find auto-door to fit large pophole

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Need some help...have researched online and looked through past BYC posts but can't find the answer.

I would like to install an auto door for the coop. However, there is an existing door with a pophole (opening) that's 12" wide x 14" tall. I need to do an interior installation since the opening has a swing door that opens outwards (into the run). Also need an auto door style that slides up and down since I don't have side-to-side space. Please see photo.

I can't find any doors that meet my criteria, which are:
- Need to be able to set opening/closing on a timer. Since a light sensor on the inside of coop would not work properly due to light levels.
- Need door style that slides up and down.
- Need width to be 12" so that there is something to screw side rails of the auto door into.

I understand that I could make modifications to my existing pophole. Or make a custom door. Both of which I am trying to avoid. So I wanted to see if you guys knew of any doors that might work for our installation.

Attachments

• 20220826_194759.jpg
    20220826_194759.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 57
Remove the existing out-swinging door and install the auto door on the outside, as it will now be your door. Because of the oversize opening, simply install some strips of wood to make it smaller for the auto door. I have experience with a T50 Run-Chicken door and see no reason it couldn't be installed there in less than 10 minutes.

OK sorry I just drop those two links and ran off. Just got off the phone with Rod the creator owner of the Ador company. Had a hour conversation with him. Super nice guy.

Anyway, the ADOR2 should cover the current opening. And the photocell extension comes in 4 feet and 12 feet. They also have the remote "manual' open and close push button.

Back to the photocell tho. Aliexpress has one that I like very much. It has a protective cover and looks rubber sealed. Rod and I discussed that theirs is a photo infrared Diode type and that regular photocells may not work as good but he told me of a guy who told him that the regular photocells did work. Just not as good. The photo infrared Diode type are a lot more "sensitive" but also don't trigger giving false starts. Has to something to do with heat not just light. I think. Was thinking if you like it you can order and find out, if it doesn't work you can still use the casing with theirs.

ScreenHunter 0115 2022-09-29 16.07.jpg

Mouthpear, I agree on Rod at Ador. I talked to him three times before buying. He is the designer of the Ador and answered all my questions and that’s one of the main reasons I went with the Ador. Plus, they have all the parts right there if there is ever a problem.

Hi. Thanks for all the advice. I did look into the Ador but really wanted a timer to be able to control the exact time.
So finally today I got my auto door installed!

I ended adding 3 pieces of 2×6 to narrow the opening to 8" w x 11" h to fit the Run Chicken. I wanted to keep the larger opening but decided it wasn't necessary. So I went with the Run Chicken for the timer function and simplicity of design. You can even program it using your cell phone through their app.

I haven't put it to use yet but will see how it works tonight and tomorrow morning!

Attachments

• 20221002_142156.jpg
    20221002_142156.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221002_142524.jpg
    20221002_142524.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The Ador Turkey door is 12.5" wide. Their site does mention an inside mount scenario.

We installed an Ador1 in our coop. The original opening was too large, so we filled in some of the hole, to get the door to mount.
I looked into the Ador. Looks great. But it only opens/closes based on light sensor. Afraid it might be too dark in the coop to function properly...

Back
Top Bottom