Can't get a permit to build coop - building any ways

Quote:
Rankin County! I was hoping for a plywood floor on concrete blocks but no water or electric. I was going to make it look like a kids play house.

Even my duck needs plywood floor, the ground stays wet for a while after rain and the food does better off the ground.

I could live with skids! So far people I ask around work are saying to just build it with no permit.

Quote:
lol.png
Yes I have an old beat up Jeep but I am driving it!
lol.png

we have already had a discussion about chickens but the guy at the county office did say he didn't care if I had chickens but he just couldn't give me a permit to build a coop.
As they say, there you go! You're in the clear and he's flat out told you the deal. Dont build a coop.

Instead, use a tractor. You could try your hand at a JA Poultry Mobile, like I did. Or use one of the great designs here that dont look "chickeny."

Try getting the book, "Chicken Tractor" - its chock full of ideas.

Just dont build a permanent coop. In the end, you just may be better off.

Quote:
OMG I hope you are having the entertaining mental images that I am. I needed that for this long work day.

I just have a picture of a cartoon jeep with cartoon chickens squawking in the back--drawing "wash me" and "help, we've been kidnapped" in the dust on the back windshield.

This coming from a person (me) who hauls chickens, feed and hay around in a tiny Corolla.

Tire store clerk: "Have you been hauling hay in the trunk?"
Me: (thinking to myself) "Nah... I just sprinkle it around because I like the smell. WHY? ARE YOU WRITING A BOOK?!"

lol.png

Add that to my list of "Things to Love about Mississippi"

Cassandra
(in Pike County, btw)

Last edited:
I would look at the rules and see exactly what they say about foundations. Where I live, you don't need a building permit if you don't have a foundation. DH will post this in the coop thread once we're done, but here's a preview of our foundation-less and permit-less coop--you can do a lot without a foundation:

DSCF1982.jpg

eta a bracket so the photo shows

Last edited:
I'm planning on building my coop inside my garage, with the run outside the garage (which will be a dog run, with wire on it (since the holes in the dog run are to big)

To anyone walking by it looks like I just have a dog run, which I'm also planning on putting vines and plants on to hide even more.

Work very fast, after business hours. Get it done in an evening and build it on skids and claim you had it built in the next county and hauled over there.
Simple and effective and they can't prove you didn't, it was a cash deal between individuals and you bought it off Craigslist case closed.

For the record I've never been one to play by the rules.

Quote:
We've started our coop and hope to finish it very quickly. I'm sure someone's going to come around and ask about a permit. We debated going to the board and inquiring what was required but were loathe to even open that can of worms. A friend of ours holds a seat on the board as an alternate and tells me if you ask if what need ... it opens the door for them to come, inspect and tell you where on your own property you can have your building. Ours is on runners and will not be a "permantent" structure and I've been practicing my "I didn't think we needed a permit look" in the mirror for weeks
smile.png
I figure it's better to get in trouble for something you think may be a no no than something I've been TOLD is a defenite no no.

Back
Top Bottom