Can't sleep, need advice

my personal philosophy is that foods like oatmeal, lentils, kidney beans, black beans, and brown rice are absolutely crucial to a diet.

I used to believe the same thing. I also used to weight 280 lbs. It was not a coincidence.

The cravings for items like donuts, beer and other junk GOES AWAY when you break the sugar addiction. You can't do that if you are eating rice.

I also used to drink a lot of beer. Now, 1 Michelob Ultra is about all I can handle.

And it may very much be the case that you will do fine on oatmeal, brown rice, etc... while your husband can not eat these at all without gaining weight. Carbohydrate tolerance varies from person to person.

Also, whatever you do, don't give him fruit juice or try to convince him to eat fruit because it is healthier than other things...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090325091811.htm

Just now, he came back from the grocery store with cereal and now he's helping the neighbor dig a new garden bed. So that's two bullets dodged just this morning: no fatty breakfast and no being sedentary.

rscrvc, I took this to mean she was happy he was eating cereal. I used to live on whole grain cereal with skim milk and banana slices or strawberries added. Again, I also used to weight 280 lbs and again, no coincidence. For a person with a high carbohydrate sensitivity and sugar addiction, a great breakfast would have been eggs cooked in butter with a little sausage or a couple slices of bacon.​

Last edited:
Breakfast helps your metabalism is what our coach says, so by not eating breakfast just makes it harder to burn off fats later if he makes any meal smaller it needs to be lunch or dinner. Try serving less fatty meats instead of steak or pork try fish or turkey. Sign him up for something fun that he would enjoy but is active at the same time. Like golf but don't use a cart. Don't push him too hard I think it would help if his friends did more active and healthy things with him. My mom walked 2-3 miles a day and lost about 15 pounds in the summer just by walking. Ask him only to drink on the weekends. Just suggestions.

I think the problem with this thread is that everyone is making suggestions to HER for HIM.
Xtina: I feel that you cannot do this for him, anymore than I can make my own tubby hubby shape up. If I prepare salad, steamed veggies, brown rice and baked fish (an ample and healthy meal), my other half will eat 6 cookies and a glass of milk for dessert. If I refuse to buy cookies, he'll bake some.
BTW: he's a healthcare professional. Knowing better does not translate into motivation.

Quote:
At 5'6 the BMI charts put me about 140-145ish. In all actuality, I am closer to 195. Those charts were set up back in the 40's and 50's, and I've never trusted them. Those charts don't take bone structure into consideration.

According to the charts, Michael Jordon, while he was still an active player, was too fat
gig.gif

True, the chart is no good for athletes, and bone structure will make a difference. Another way of looking at it is on this thread I've heard a lot of American people, who are the most overweight and obese people in the world saying that they don't trust the people who say that thin is the way to be healthy. Sure, you can be a bodybuilder, healthy, and not fit on the chart, I've said that before. But if you're a normal person carrying a few pounds, it probably is accurate. So because the chart was made in the 50s when obesity wasn't rampant in the U.S. makes it wrong compared to now when obesity is rampant? I don't understand, that sounds like a lot of excusing one's own incorrect body perception. That chart tells me I'm on the low end of normal, and I know I have a lot of toning to do. It can reassure me that I'm not at risk for heart disease, but its weakness is that it can't tell me I need to build muscle and burn some fat, especially in my posterior region. So yeah, it has weaknesses, but to justify 50 extra pounds by saying that the chart is skewed makes me feel like it's not me who's in denial here. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but I bet everyone who has knocked the chart's validity would be told by a physician that they do indeed need to lose the extra weight in order to be in optimal health.

Quote:
Yeah, mine is a scientist who was studying to be a registered nurse. He also knows better. I have to say this has been a pretty discouraging thread, although I know everyone's right. I'm too in love with my husband to even want to leave, so the message is that I need to accept that he's always going to be fat because me trying to ever say or do anything about it will always backfire 100%. It creates a really bad mental situation to be in, because I'm kind of an optimist who believes there's always something you can do if a situation isn't right. You know, never give up, never stop trying, perseverance.

Quote:
Well I'll use myself as an example. I am very broad shouldered. I have to have suit jackets custom tailored because I can't wear anything off the rack. I am sure I could loose some weight but not a huge amount. As a side note related here, I had an severe anxiety attack (never had one before) and was rushed to the hospital because they thought I was having a stroke. I had EKG's, and a stress test. Because of the work I do, it took them almost 20 minutes on the treadmill to get my heart rate up enough to test me. Results were in. The index said I was over 50 pounds overweight, but my heart is as good as any healthy 18 year olds, and I'm a bit older than that.

Not bragging, but I've never trusted those charts. Yes, 50 years ago Americans weren't as obese as it is now, but our understanding of nutrition and food selection has changed. 50 years ago there wasn't a Mcdonalds at every corner, people grew and ate quite a bit of their own food, now a days people are in a hurry for everything. Anyways, I'm not trying to justify the extra weight I carry, just saying those charts are as outdated as black and white televisions are.

That chart tells me I'm on the low end of normal, and I know I have a lot of toning to do. It can reassure me that I'm not at risk for heart disease, but its weakness is that it can't tell me I need to build muscle and burn some fat, especially in my posterior region.

You can't know you aren't at risk for heart disease just by your weight. Unless you have had a calcium heart scan or have tested your c-reactive protein levels, or had a complete cholesterol check INCLUDING testing for particle size (paying particular attention to VLDL levels), you can't assume because you are thin you are healthy.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26143255/

he has sleep apnea. That is NOT healthy. That is caused by Obesity.

I know that I am obese by the BMI chart. So I am eating healthier and exercising more. Will I ever reach that "perfect" weight? Doubtful. But I am going to be healthier!

"Comfortably married"
Attitudes like that are why we are a unhealthy nation as a whole

Back
Top Bottom